Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you keep all 4 tires the same size for 2017 MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, my tires need to be replaced and currently, I have the following:
255/45 R20 front tire 20’’wheels

275/45 R20 rear tire 20’’ wheels

Can I keep all tires the same size in the front and rear? Or is there some concerns about changing the tire sizes? thank you all for your help.

Tam, what size tires and which brand do you have on your MX? I think I have similar year / model to yours.

I am still using the original setup and brand.

Continental CrossContact LX Sport
Front 265/45R20
Rear 275/45R20

As @ptronus31 explained, Rear tires are wider to take on more loading, weight, and towing...

That might mean your newly installed narrower-width tires in the rear will wear down quicker.

Reactions: RNHurt
The wheels are different widths front to back, so that might weigh in here. The right way to do it would be to buy front wheels to replace the rears so that they are the same all around. This may affect towing, loading and handling, however.
Thanks @ptronus31
Do you or anyone know if someone with Model X has put all tires the same size (exact same size as the front for the rear too).
I don't do any towing but I don't want this to become an issue for it. Thanks for everyone's feedback and help.

Reactions: Philiple01
I am still using the original setup and brand.

Continental CrossContact LX Sport
Front 265/45R20
Rear 275/45R20

As @ptronus31 explained, Rear tires are wider to take on more loading, weight, and towing...

That might mean your newly installed narrower-width tires in the rear will wear down quicker.
Thank you again. are there any threads on any other brand of tires that will last longer because on the original setup as you noted (on mine too), I only got 22k miles which seems to be so low for these tires.. are others seeing similar?

Stock 19" winter tire setup is square, 265/50-19 in every corner. So car doesn't have any issue with that.

But stock 20" and 22" wheels are wider at rear. I don't think it's good idea to use same size tires there, it won't look the same because tires fit differently on wider rims.

• Informative
Reactions: G2019 and RNHurt
Hi, my tires need to be replaced and currently, I have the following:
255/45 R20 front tire 20’’wheels

275/45 R20 rear tire 20’’ wheels

Can I keep all tires the same size in the front and rear? Or is there some concerns about changing the tire sizes? thank you all for your help.
They’re 9” wheels up front and 9.5” wheels up back on the 20” rims. Fitting narrower tyres at the rear will affect the grip. Handling won’t be as sharp with wider tyres up front either. Basically I can’t think of a good reason to do it.

I’m onto my fourth set of summer tyres here in the UK. Generally get around 25,000 miles-ish out of a set.

Ironically the Michelin Lattitude Sport 3 tyres here are more expensive for the narrower size than the wider rears. Go figure.

Reactions: G2019
Thank you again. are there any threads on any other brand of tires that will last longer because on the original setup as you noted (on mine too), I only got 22k miles which seems to be so low for these tires.. are others seeing similar?

For Model X, lasting around 20,000 to 30,000 miles is acceptable.

I changed my sets twice at 30,000 and 60,000 miles because I drive very slowly.

As others have mentioned, I would put my tires on the correct wheels, and I wouldn't put 265 tires on a 275 wheel. 265 tire needs to go to 265 wheel.

Reactions: G2019
For Model X, lasting around 20,000 to 30,000 miles is acceptable.

I changed my sets twice at 30,000 and 60,000 miles because I drive very slowly.

As others have mentioned, I would put my tires on the correct wheels, and I wouldn't put 265 tires on a 275 wheel. 265 tire needs to go to 265 wheel.
Much appreciated your response. i currenlty have Continental CrossContact LX Sport, do I have any other tire brand/model options that would still get a smooth ride and not any new noises?

Costo only has these tires.. not sure if they are good for Tesla Model X..
How about the price?

Costo Tesla tires.JPG

Speed rating a tad low. I had W rated and Y rated CrossClimate2 on the car. Also narrower up front:

2 x Michelin CrossClimate SUV 255/45 R20 105W XL. For what it’s worth they were £269 inc VAT here.

2 x Michelin CrossClimate SUV 275/45 R20 110Y XL @ £248 inc VAT

I bought 2 front wheels and put 255 55 20s all around on my 2022 LR. These are slightly larger diameter than stock 265 45s to make up for fact speedo is off 2 mph at 60 with stock. Now 1 mph low so better. Run this same setup on my winters.

Tires have a higher load rating than stock, so don't think towing capacity is affected. Don't look any different either. Pushed car on some twisties last weekend and no handling differences either. Of course this is a 5300 lbs SUV so ultimate handling is limited, it's good for what it is but not a sports car.

I did this change so I can rotate the tires. The original 275 rears were worn on inside and bald at 10k miles! Original fronts still have 7/32 tread so very good. I installed the Macsboost rear camber shims and hope to get more rear life along with rotations.

Problem is I'm a big Nokian Winters fan and put on Nokian One all season tires. TERRIBLE new noise on the X! It's wierd, on grooved concrete interstate, thet are actually quieter than the Conti Silents OEM. BUT on lots of blacktop like we have around here, there is a hollow, singing resonating growl from the tread. Really annoying! So bad, I'm pulling the tires after 500 miles and putting those 7/32 fronts back on with 2 more ContiSilents I'm buying. Lesson learned, Tesla makes a loud rim and needs the foam inside to really dampen out some tires noise on certain tires. So wierd as the Nokian R5 winters don't do this at all.

Reactions: Philiple01
I bought 2 front wheels and put 255 55 20s all around on my 2022 LR. These are slightly larger diameter than stock 265 45s to make up for fact speedo is off 2 mph at 60 with stock. Now 1 mph low so better. Run this same setup on my winters.

Tires have a higher load rating than stock, so don't think towing capacity is affected. Don't look any different either. Pushed car on some twisties last weekend and no handling differences either. Of course this is a 5300 lbs SUV so ultimate handling is limited, it's good for what it is but not a sports car.

I did this change so I can rotate the tires. The original 275 rears were worn on inside and bald at 10k miles! Original fronts still have 7/32 tread so very good. I installed the Macsboost rear camber shims and hope to get more rear life along with rotations.

Problem is I'm a big Nokian Winters fan and put on Nokian One all season tires. TERRIBLE new noise on the X! It's wierd, on grooved concrete interstate, thet are actually quieter than the Conti Silents OEM. BUT on lots of blacktop like we have around here, there is a hollow, singing resonating growl from the tread. Really annoying! So bad, I'm pulling the tires after 500 miles and putting those 7/32 fronts back on with 2 more ContiSilents I'm buying. Lesson learned, Tesla makes a loud rim and needs the foam inside to really dampen out some tires noise on certain tires. So wierd as the Nokian R5 winters don't do this at all.
The 255/55/

Thanks @ptronus31
Do you or anyone know if someone with Model X has put all tires the same size (exact same size as the front for the rear too).
I don't do any towing but I don't want this to become an issue for it. Thanks for everyone's feedback and help.
I have 2016 Model X and have about 40k miles on square setup 265/45/20 using TSportline 20x9 wheels all around.

Do you have problem with the bigger diameter using 255/55/20

checking if you have run into any issue using 255/55/20 in the front since its diameter is bigger than that if 265/45/29 (29.4” vs 31”). Thank you