Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can You Still Order a Second Powerwall With an Existing Solar and PW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can order Powerwalls from a third party, but you may not receive them for a long time. As I have found out after the fact, some third parties are more special than others and have shorter lead times on Powerwalls due to higher volume deliveries. My two cents would be get an install date with penalties in the contract if you go the third party route.

I ordered Powerwalls in May of 2020, and we are still waiting with no estimate on an install date. New customers from my third party installer are being told late 2022/2023 for installs due to slow deliveries by Tesla.

YMMV...

All the best,

BG

Reactions: ucmndd
OP this change (not being able to order powerwalls without solar from tesla) is relatively new. Someone would need to be in your described situation (existing solar and powerwall) and attempt to contact tesla to order an additional powerwall and see what happens.

I have 2 powerwalls and have considered a third (along with some additional solar, or maybe just the additional PW by itself). I am interested in the answer but have not seen one. If you get the answer, please let us know.

Reactions: skepticcyclist
You can still order just Powerwalls from third party installer. I don’t think tesla will just sell additional Powerwalls.
You can sure try. Like @BGbreeder I’ve been waiting for two powerwalls from a third party installer since September last year. The delivery date keeps changing. Most recent excuse is “global semiconductor shortage.” After Elon’s announcement this evening I’m increasingly skeptical I’ll ever get them.

Reactions: BGbreeder
There is also a shortfall for producing new batteries - which could be why Tesla can't make enough PowerWalls to meet demand, and is now placing restrictions on PowerWall sales - at least for now.

Yes, you can order Powerwalls from a third party, but you may not receive them for a long time. As I have found out after the fact, some third parties are more special than others and have shorter lead times on Powerwalls due to higher volume deliveries. My two cents would be get an install date with penalties in the contract if you go the third party route.

I ordered Powerwalls in May of 2020, and we are still waiting with no estimate on an install date. New customers from my third party installer are being told late 2022/2023 for installs due to slow deliveries by Tesla.

YMMV...

All the best,

BG

No installer is going to allow a contract with penalties due to a supplier shipping issue. They've been down this route before and every contract I've ever seen has clauses that exclude them from liability due to 3rd party supplier issues.