Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Model S Plaid and LR orders and deliveries!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking out loud here, plus it's on topic for once, at this point I'm considering cancelling my Plaid order.

Here are my reasons:
-I need the car in June 2022, I'm giving my Tesla3 AWD+ to my GF, but she has a lease that only expires in June. So technically, a June delivery would be as close to perfect as it gets.
-At first I wanted a LR, but switched to Plaid because of the Luxury Tax. I figured I know I'd prefer the Plaid but really don't want to pay 14k$ in lux tax, so decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Plaid. FOMO I know.
-I was originally supposed to get the car in August which was great, some summer time to enjoy the 1000hp before winter hits.
-It's been pushed back so many times I'm now Oct 20-31 and could be pushed back to November easily.
-Winter tires option are pretty terrible for now. Freakin' Covid or just lack of market, but the options for great winter tires in Plaid sizes is not good at all.
-It sucks to get a new car right when winter starts.

So now I'm really wondering if I should just cancel the whole thing. The downsides are:
-LR instead of Plaid (FOMO will hit me sometime for sure)
-Not paying for 3 cars when only two are needed
-Not buying average winter tires
-50k$ in my pocket instead of Elon's

I think if Tesla misses the Oct 31 target I'm cancelling the Plaid and going LR instead. Seems that whatever I choose it sucks. Unless the Lux Tax doesn't get implemented then I can buy the Plaid in June next year.

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Thinking out loud here, plus it's on topic for once, at this point I'm considering cancelling my Plaid order.

Here are my reasons:
-I need the car in June 2022, I'm giving my Tesla3 AWD+ to my GF, but she has a lease that only expires in June. So technically, a June delivery would be as close to perfect as it gets.
-At first I wanted a LR, but switched to Plaid because of the Luxury Tax. I figured I know I'd prefer the Plaid but really don't want to pay 14k$ in lux tax, so decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Plaid. FOMO I know.
-I was originally supposed to get the car in August which was great, some summer time to enjoy the 1000hp before winter hits.
-It's been pushed back so many times I'm now Oct 20-31 and could be pushed back to November easily.
-Winter tires option are pretty terrible for now. Freakin' Covid or just lack of market, but the options for great winter tires in Plaid sizes is not good at all.

So now I'm really wondering if I should just cancel the whole thing. The downsides are:

I think if Tesla misses the Oct 31 target I'm cancelling the Plaid and going LR instead. Seems that whatever I choose it sucks. Unless the Lux Tax doesn't get implemented then I can buy the Plaid in June next year.

LR Still an amazing car :)

LR and Plaid have the same tire sizes. You will have the same issue with the very limited tire sizes available :(

Your GF can easily transfert her leasing to someone else, market is crazy right now. My wife transfert her X2 leasing is less than a week on leasybuster.

Make sure that your SA know that you're willing to accept a LR in case one become available.

Reactions: AMGF
You do not want winter tires in stock rear LR/Plaid tire size - they are way too thick, which makes them terrible on snow.

I wouldn't consider anything larger than 275/40/19 in the rear and the rim must be 19" or smaller. I would find a Michelin X-Ice Snow (Studless winter) or Michelin Alpin PA4 (Performance Winter) from your nearest Costco and throw them on some winter rims.

LR Still an amazing car :)

LR and Plaid have the same tire sizes. You will have the same issue with the very limited tire sizes available :(

Your GF can easily transfert her leasing to someone else, market is crazy right now. My wife transfert her X2 leasing is less than a week on leasybuster.

Make sure that your SA know that you're willing to accept a LR in case one become available.
Yes LR is amazing. It's quicker than my ZR1 was and it was no slouch. Plaid is just ostentatious! 😁
If I get the LR in June 2022, the Hakka 10 EV will probably be available for next winter.
You do not want winter tires in stock rear LR/Plaid tire size - they are way too thick, which makes them terrible on snow.

I wouldn't consider anything larger than 275/40/19 in the rear and the rim must be 19" or smaller. I would find a Michelin X-Ice Snow (Studless winter) or Michelin Alpin PA4 (Performance Winter) from your nearest Costco and throw them on some winter rims.
I agreee. If I get my car this year, I figured for the best snow traction and for better options the only way was indeed to go with 275/40. I won't buy winter rims though, I got the 19s for that. I will buy lightweight 19s or 20s for my summer tires.

I'm trying to reach the lead sales adviser that I know to get more info about my delivery but I think she's ghosting me.... 🤣

Here are my reasons:

I am in the exact same position. It is extremely frustrating. Having never ending changes to EDD basically means they are completely meaningless which makes it impossible to plan around.

It will be interesting to see if we start getting deliveries again in Canada prior to a end of Q4 push. 🤷‍♂️

I am in the exact same position. It is extremely frustrating. Having never ending changes to EDD basically means they are completely meaningless which makes it impossible to plan around.

It will be interesting to see if we start getting deliveries again in Canada prior to a end of Q4 push. 🤷‍♂️
That make 3 + of us... I am also considering the same thing. I do not want to pay the lux tax! My first MS was an 85 and I did regret not getting the performance version. If I cancel the plaid I will probably go to another competitor. Can't see me settling again.

That make 3 + of us... I am also considering the same thing. I do not want to pay the lux tax! My first MS was an 85 and I did regret not getting the performance version. If I cancel the plaid I will probably go to another competitor. Can't see me settling again.

I'm not paying luxury tax. No delivery by 31 Dec = cancelled order. Not that I can't afford it, I just won't pay it out of spite.

The good news is my EDD has consistently bounced within Nov/Dec, so I'd likely be included in EOQ4 push - but you never know...

Reactions: AMGF and RAM_Eh
I'm not paying luxury tax. No delivery by 31 Dec = cancelled order. Not that I can't afford it, I just won't pay it out of spite.

The good news is my EDD has consistently bounced within Nov/Dec, so I'd likely be included in EOQ4 push - but you never know...
Not that I disagree because I would probably do the same, but are you just going end up driving a budget EV or gas car under 100k?

Not that I disagree because I would probably do the same, but are you just going end up driving a budget EV or gas car under 100k?
Yeah under 100k$ you are stuck with Model3 or Y or gas. I wouldn't say no to a Giulia Quadrofoglio, but going back to fuelling, maintenance appointments and all associated costs for ultimately a slower car is not super attractive.

The extra tax on the LR is "only" 3000$. But still it makes me sick, you guys make me realize that maybe I should stick to the Plaid whenever it may arrive as long as it's 2021.

Reactions: Bitjockey

This will be my first Tesla, I’m currently driving a Golf R, which I absolutely love. TBH, I’m on the fence about whether I want to give it up or not, so I’ve basically just made this my decision point. If I don’t get it by 31 Dec, it’s just not meant to be. 🤷‍♂️

The extra tax on the LR is "only" 3000$. But still it makes me sick, you guys make me realize that maybe I should stick to the Plaid whenever it may arrive as long as it's 2021.

It works out to $6K extra for me because of the extra options I’ve selected (colour, interior, FSD). I could drop FSD and buy it after to save $2K.

Some pictures of the new Model S we just did with Xpel STEALTH satin clear bra.

xpel-ultimate-xpel-stealth-satin-clear-bra-paint-protection-film-Vancouver-ClearBra-1036.jpg
xpel-ultimate-xpel-stealth-satin-clear-bra-paint-protection-film-Vancouver-ClearBra-1038.jpg
xpel-ultimate-xpel-stealth-satin-clear-bra-paint-protection-film-Vancouver-ClearBra-1039.jpg