Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So we will be doing a trip across Canada in late May and early June. Our concern is the lack or superchargers east of Calgary. What does everyone use? We will be crossing into Canada from Minnesota on the 75 and then going west across the 1. Will this be possible in a long range model 3? I know Tesla shows numerous chargers opening in 2019 but who knows if they will be there by then.

Thanks. My worry with planning it using that app is at least In the US, alot of those aren't public stations and you can't use them. Like ones at Nissan or apartment complexes, etc. Our worry is we plan out the trip and that occurs and we get stranded because we have no where to charge. Was hoping someone has done that drive already and could offer insight.

Thanks. My worry with planning it using that app is at least In the US, alot of those aren't public stations and you can't use them. Like ones at Nissan or apartment complexes, etc. Our worry is we plan out the trip and that occurs and we get stranded because we have no where to charge. Was hoping someone has done that drive already and could offer insight.

That’s a valid concern.
Often in the plugshare app, it will list who has used that charger last etc. If you see no lists of usage, fair to say avoid that one.
Otherwise, with a list of people using it, it should be good to go.

Got my Model 3 too late in the season to go on any lengthy trips but I've heard of a Model S that crossed Ontario, North of Superior, by charging at campgrounds. You'll need the appropriate charging connector, however and I'm not sure which ones will work with M3s. There is a Chademo-CCS charger in Thunder Bay but that won't help you. There are also a couple free Level 2 units at local hotels. Tesla's map shows permits having been taken out on several Superchargers across N. Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan but I don't know when they will be built.

I’ve driven in Manitoba and Saskatchewan in a Model 3 along the Trans-Canada Highway using J1772 chargers listed on PlugShare. It’s definitely possible, but is a slow drive since you will be stopping for several hours during the day to charge (plus overnight charging at hotels or campgrounds).
If your goal is not to get across as quickly as possible, it is actually fun to stop in small towns, explore the local sights and family restaurants and chat to the locals while the car is charging.