Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Pricing and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I think the pricing is fine. I'm still more annoyed about my backward province (NS) not having any kind of EV rebate which will cost me a lot more than what Tesla has marked up over US. The 6.1% is I would agree a failure of government (which is sadly to be expected) and not Tesla. As far as what Tesla has done I am pretty happy. I'm an X reservation holder and hoping I can expect similar pricing (maybe even better! ... but at least equal) in a couple of years time.

Doug, what puzzled me is why people are disappointed with the Canadian pricing. Every adder above the US price is well explained.

I'm mainly disappointed that they didn't manage to avoid the 6.1% duty. I gather they were extremely close but were not able to make the 50% North American content. I know they tried very hard, including asking all their suppliers for additional information, e.g. whether a particular made-in-Germany part had any North American content. I know that other companies have done some clever things, like "completing" the assembly of vehicles in Canada, e.g. by simply bolting on a couple of extra parts once they got here. I bet they could have done something like that to get over the bar.

Adding 2.21% to the price of the car for exchange rate isn't the end of the world. Of course I'd prefer parity pricing. But this is much better than what they did with the Roadster. They really were excessively conservative with the Roadster pricing.

For me it's a question is whether to keep my Signature or drop to Production. From the beginning I wanted to sign up for the Sig, and I was happy when us Canucks got the opportunity. I too was hoping that NAFTA would come through, but we all know that in reality Free Trade benefits the big players and screws Canadians over. (slightly off-topic, sorry!) My wife and I talked about $100k being a psychological limit - that's already more than double my previous most expensive vehicle. We can afford it, but the question is whether we want to spend that much on a mere car, albeit one that I believe will change the industry (or already has). For me, I don't like to flaunt my wealth and try to live well under my means, and try to be a good steward with what I have. Over 6 figures grabs attention...

Tesla has been good to us, and while they need to work on their salespeople's communication issues (different messaging), everything I have seen so far of this company is that they are trying hard to change the way car companies do business. I want to support both the "real car" EV industry and this new model of selling cars. And in the end, money has to be used for something, and I think it is a paradigm shift worth investing in. (Okay I have shares, too, but that helps me, not Tesla directly)

So, I suppose I have convinced myself (thanks, TMC! :wink:), as psychologically difficult as it is to pay this much for a car. Although I just have to practice the line, "Well, in the US it starts at $49k with the tax credit". I was leaning towards maybe getting a pano roof, but now I really am not sure... convince me, people! :biggrin:

Doug, what puzzled me is why people are disappointed with the Canadian pricing. Every adder above the US price is well explained.

I agree.

By comparison, for the Roadster, here in Hong Kong we were hit with +20% above US prices (no tax or import duties for EVs here). Other EVs are marked up 30%+. Seeing the Canadian prices really gives me hope that Tesla will keep things reasonable.

A base Model S here for HK$500k would be cool and really help adoption. Leafs are HK$418k, by comparison.

I want to support both the "real car" EV industry and this new model of selling cars. And in the end, money has to be used for something, and I think it is a paradigm shift worth investing in.

KBF, you make an excellent point.

There appears to be two separate $ issues.
1) Paying more than our US counterparts: Ironically people in Germany pay much more for vehicles built in their own country than we do in North America for the same imported car. I'm happy that the pricing is as close as it is... considering other products with US/CND price disparities.

2) Pricing for the Model S is very high: We are the first to buy this class of car. Early adopters will always pay more in my experience but IMHO this one is worth it. I remember paying over $7000 for our first micro computer (Apple 2e w 10Meg external HD) in 1979,. ($23,000 in today's dollars). I am also a strong believer in what TELSA is doing to change the world today, with real results. :biggrin:

3 years and 3 months ago I put down a deposit and have been keenly watching this car take shape. Today's pricing announcement is a key decision making milestone that I have been waiting for and although disappointed (in the duty) I expected as much. Going to have to do some soul searching over the next several months while I await the "time to build" email as the pricing means dropping the 'want' features and just get the bare-bone 40kwh base model.

So you upgraded to a sig reservation, downgraded and are now considering the base model? Did your financial situation change, or was the sig never really a reality?

Disclaimer for those in a different financial situation than me: a Tesla is not worth your own financial insecurity. It is easy to lose perspective following forums like these, and I don't want my "impassioned" speech about why I'm spending $$$,$$$.¢¢ to make a bad decision. If the base is a stretch but doable, that's great, but 100K is a LOT of money for a car. We should see Gen III eventually. The Model S is probably worth sacrificing something for (like a flying vacation down South) if it fits the needs of your family (I have 4 kids so there is no other electric vehicle comparable). Too many of my friends are deep in debt because of many smaller things (like new electronics every year with data plans they can't afford and expensive, meaningless habits like satellite TV:wink:) and it makes it that much harder to invest in the future in important ways.

My fears about delaying for later models are: a) once everyone who "pre-ordered" are through, there may be a price increase (just a chance, but it happened with the Roadster) b) disaster happens and Tesla halts production, major delays (is the factory on a fault line?:crying:) c)Canadian government adds stupid regulations. Seriously, if I hope to get my Model S before these happen (if they do), and I think all of the previous (at this point) are fairly unlikely to happen. If Tesla fails someone will buy them out, but then we are back to the same ridiculous dealership model and no one will likely try it again for a while.

Sorry for my long posts, I'm longwinded :smile:

b) disaster happens and Tesla halts production, major delays (is the factory on a fault line?:crying:)

Indeed. To go OT for a bit, we are due for a real big one on the Hayward Fault anytime now (and surely "sometime in the next 30 years" given the last big one there in 1868 and its almost-regular ~150 year frequency). San Andreas to the west is more active and the last one there up in the Bay Area was in 1989.

Interesting stuff here: http://www.hwmpenvirostor.dtsc.ca.gov/regulators/site_documents/6089658439/New_United_Motor_Manufacturing_Inc..pdf

See section '3.3 Geology'.

I am pretty content with the pricing. With this kind of expenditure, I was concerned that if the price was too much more than the US, I would have bad feelings towards the car (and I don't want to spend $100k and have bad feeling towards it!). But the pricing is reasonably close, and better than many if not most car companies. I am currently on the list for a Sig, but will return to Production (I want dolphin grey for colour - although I really really want my car sooner :) ) I added it up on the US site and then with Canadian pricing and this is what I get: (85kW battery, panoramic roof, leather seats, tech package, sound package, air suspension, parcel shelf, paint armour, twin chargers and wall unit) US$91,250 vs CAD$99,050. About 8.5% more in Canada, but given they are being charged import duty, quite reasonable. I have no bad feelings towards the car and soooo impatiently waiting:) The government remains the dwelling of societies' dregs, but that is another story.

I'm mainly disappointed that they didn't manage to avoid the 6.1% duty. I gather they were extremely close but were not able to make the 50% North American content. I know they tried very hard, including asking all their suppliers for additional information, e.g. whether a particular made-in-Germany part had any North American content. I know that other companies have done some clever things, like "completing" the assembly of vehicles in Canada, e.g. by simply bolting on a couple of extra parts once they got here. I bet they could have done something like that to get over the bar.

I was talking to my company's CFO today (who accompanied me on my test drive) and he was suggesting that if Tesla simply imported the car and battery separately, and installed the battery here, they could likely avoid the duty. I would have to think they're set up here to do battery swaps.

Our company bought some Dodge Sprinters (back in the Daimler-Chrysler days) and I was given to understand they disassembled the trucks in Europe and bolted them back together here to avoid the import duty. Seems crazy, but apparently the trouble was worth it in the end.

Wonder if Tesla explored ideas like that?

Mike

It is only the battery cells (all 7,000+ of them per car) that are made in Japan. The battery assembly is designed, manufactured and assembled in California. So I doubt that what your friend suggested would work. I doubt that Tesla just fouled up the paperwork. From the tone of George B's post on the other forum, it sounds like they were certainly aware of the issue, and would have preferred to make the grade.

So Canadian Model S can get the upgraded interior in textile (12 way, heated seats, décor options). I contacted Tesla about this for the US (and a couple other things) before I finalize my order, they said this option is not available in the US. boo

The options page isn't clear but I believe that if you want heated seats then textile is not an option in Canada either. It's just that leather seats are included in the base price.

It is only the battery cells (all 7,000+ of them per car) that are made in Japan. The battery assembly is designed, manufactured and assembled in California. So I doubt that what your friend suggested would work. I doubt that Tesla just fouled up the paperwork. From the tone of George B's post on the other forum, it sounds like they were certainly aware of the issue, and would have preferred to make the grade.

I wonder, though, if Tesla could import the car without the battery (with no duty), and sell us the pack separately... and then the duty would only apply on the value of the pack? Okay... I'm grasping at straws here, but anything to save some $$$ on that darned duty!