Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canin camera overheating & loss of Driving privileges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed a big change after update 2023.44.30.3
Software is very alert, and even a small distraction disengaged the driving assist. Now i receive notices that after 4 times I would lose the feature... For how long?

Trying to cover the cabin camera, right above the rearview mirror I noticed that it was extremely hot.. to the point were I got worried.. it only get overheated when drive assisted is engaged..

Don't know if anyone else noticed that as well...

We are currently on 2023.44.30.6 and 11.4.9. Driving home after dark (no sun to heat the car) last night, we noticed that the interior camera housing was truly hot to the touch. Not warm, hot. Like, "That thing is nearly burning my finger!" hot. Also noticed that EAP was extra crabby, got two red hands warnings to apply force, though the car didn't disengage EAP. Additionally, while driving in daylight since the update I've only gotten one light blue banner encouraging me to apply force, so those two warnings seemed anomalous. After those two warnings I disengaged EAP since I didn't feel like hearing from it for the remainder of our not-so-long drive. When we got home I aimed a thermal sensor at the housing and it reported 115 F, even after sitting in the garage for a couple of minutes while I was looking for the sensor.

Given it was so hot, instead of asking folks here what they think I filed a warranty service request for the car with that as the only concern. Thus far they've accepted the appointment, but I don't expect it to be reviewed by a human until at least Tuesday. At that point I imagine they may explain it away and say the hot camera is "to spec," or say something about an upcoming software update that should address this, or take the car in and do something physical to resolve the issue. I'll keep folks posted as to how it goes.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
We are currently on 2023.44.30.6 and 11.4.9. Driving home after dark (no sun to heat the car) last night, we noticed that the interior camera housing was truly hot to the touch. Not warm, hot. Like, "That thing is nearly burning my finger!" hot. Also noticed that EAP was extra crabby, got two red hands warnings to apply force, though the car didn't disengage EAP. Additionally, while driving in daylight since the update I've only gotten one light blue banner encouraging me to apply force, so those two warnings seemed anomalous. After those two warnings I disengaged EAP since I didn't feel like hearing from it for the remainder of our not-so-long drive. When we got home I aimed a thermal sensor at the housing and it reported 115 F, even after sitting in the garage for a couple of minutes while I was looking for the sensor.

Given it was so hot, instead of asking folks here what they think I filed a warranty service request for the car with that as the only concern. Thus far they've accepted the appointment, but I don't expect it to be reviewed by a human until at least Tuesday. At that point I imagine they may explain it away and say the hot camera is "to spec," or say something about an upcoming software update that should address this, or take the car in and do something physical to resolve the issue. I'll keep folks posted as to how it goes.
This morning, just before I left the house for the Tesla SC to get the car's warranty camera service done per the above post, I got a call from Tesla saying the camera heating issue had been caused by software and that it has since been resolved via updates. We're currently on 2023.44.30.8, and we have in fact noticed that while the interior camera still gets warm, it no longer gets scary hot. We actually suggested this possibility to them a few days back, but at that time they asked us to bring it in for inspection anyway. That recommendation has clearly changed.

So, three things:
  1. Tesla knows the interior camera heating issue was real, and has concluded it was caused by software, specifically 2023.44.30.x, where x is less than 8.
  2. Tesla believes the interior camera heating issue has been been resolved via software updates for 2023.44.30.x, where x is greater than 7.
  3. If your interior camera is heating up to scary hot temps, update to the current release and see whether that solves the problem.