Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Suspension and Cabin Camera 2023.44.30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After updating my 2018 Model 3 with Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), I have a couple of questions about the Autopilot feature, particularly regarding the cabin camera and Autopilot Suspension: I still haven’t updated my MY and MS.

1. In the release notes, it's mentioned that the Autopilot feature is suspended for a week after five forced disengagements. Is there a reset period for these occurrences? It would be practical if the count reset after a set period, like 24 hours, rather than being permanent until you hit five. The week-long suspension seems excessively strict and potentially less safe. I wish we have alternate way to regain Autopilot access, such as through driver education? Also, is there a way to track the number of 'lives' left before losing Autopilot? Tesla should put AP lives icon on the screen similar to a video game indicator.

2. There are posts suggesting that the latest update disables FSD if the cabin camera is covered. However, my M3 AP continues to work with the camera covered for privacy. I'm curious if others have noticed this. All my cars have AP or EAP, but none have FSD.

After updating my 2018 Model 3 with Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), I have a couple of questions about the Autopilot feature, particularly regarding the cabin camera and Autopilot Suspension: I still haven’t updated my MY and MS.

1. In the release notes, it's mentioned that the Autopilot feature is suspended for a week after five forced disengagements. Is there a reset period for these occurrences? It would be practical if the count reset after a set period, like 24 hours, rather than being permanent until you hit five. The week-long suspension seems excessively strict and potentially less safe. I wish we have alternate way to regain Autopilot access, such as through driver education? Also, is there a way to track the number of 'lives' left before losing Autopilot? Tesla should put AP lives icon on the screen similar to a video game indicator.

2. There are posts suggesting that the latest update disables FSD if the cabin camera is covered. However, my M3 AP continues to work with the camera covered for privacy. I'm curious if others have noticed this. All my cars have AP or EAP, but none have FSD.
Strikes do not age out and stay with you until you either get the maximum number and sit out AP for a week or Tesla resets the count in a future update. They apparently reset everyone's strikes with the recent Holiday Update, but generally have no reset strikes with updates.

Some people who found themselves within one strike of an FSD suspension before an upcoming long trip have purposefully gotten the last strike so they could serve out their suspension before the trip and begin with a clean slate. Seems sort of counter productive, but all systems are gamed in some manner.

A better implementation would have some sort of strike age out provision. Maybe there will be changes...

I have a 23 HW3 MY without FSD and the camera is not used for driver monitoring. This was a surprise to me. I expected the camera would be used if equipped.