Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regeneration not fully restored after 45 (!!!) min drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear forum visitors, I seek assistance and advice from those familiar with early versions of the Tesla Model X. I own a 2016 MX. The issue is that despite a sufficiently long trip and distance, regenerative braking remains partially unavailable. As you can see in both photos, the outside temperature is 37°F. The car covered 14 miles in 44 minutes, with cabin heating and seat warmers in use. Isn't this time sufficient for battery heating? These are the first cold days after summer. When the temperature was above 70°F, I didn't face this issue. Regeneration was 100% right after the car started moving. As the temperature dropped, I noticed that at 60°F, it took about 20-25 minutes from start until the car could fully regenerate during braking. I don't recall such behavior last winter. Any advice and shared experiences in the comments would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpeg
    IMG_3376.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3379.jpeg
    IMG_3379.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 15
Dear forum visitors, I seek assistance and advice from those familiar with early versions of the Tesla Model X. I own a 2016 MX. The issue is that despite a sufficiently long trip and distance, regenerative braking remains partially unavailable. As you can see in both photos, the outside temperature is 37°F. The car covered 14 miles in 44 minutes, with cabin heating and seat warmers in use. Isn't this time sufficient for battery heating? These are the first cold days after summer. When the temperature was above 70°F, I didn't face this issue. Regeneration was 100% right after the car started moving. As the temperature dropped, I noticed that at 60°F, it took about 20-25 minutes from start until the car could fully regenerate during braking. I don't recall such behavior last winter. Any advice and shared experiences in the comments would be greatly appreciated.
This appears to be pretty normal. At 37°F and only 14 miles driven, it can take a while for the battery temp to come up. To improve that, while the vehicle is still plugged in to shore power, turn on the climate about an hour before you want to leave. Charging also helps. Did you really have to leave the vehicle cold and only 23% charged? why was it not at least 70% charged?

Reactions: Genie and outdoors
This appears to be pretty normal. At 37°F and only 14 miles driven, it can take a while for the battery temp to come up. To improve that, while the vehicle is still plugged in to shore power, turn on the climate about an hour before you want to leave. Charging also helps. Did you really have to leave the vehicle cold and only 23% charged? why was it not at least 70% charged?
I’m tryin keep battery above 20%. My car have free supercharger but closest one 12 ml away in JFK airport (Welcome to NYC). Rest of them in NYC on paid parking lots. This is why I’m not charging at home but still have lev 2 original Tesla charger. Usually I charge car once per week on supercharger 16 ml away when driving to gym (welcome to NYC again - one hour in traffic). On Thanksgiving 12 superchargers open 1.5 ml away for me (I was waiting for this place almost 9 months (Supercharger - Brooklyn, NY).
About this case. I drive to Manhattan 16 ml away (32 round trip) but because cold weather consumption was ~450-500 W/ml - much more than expected.
I hope this answer all your questions.
I’m familiar with precondition but not sure what is most energy efficient- drive with cold battery or spend some energy on precondition and run on warm battery. Can’t find anny reliable information about it. Also I drive these 14 ml for 44 (!!!) min with car seats and heater on and hope this enough to worm up battery but look like I was wrong. Just want to be sure this is normal with such car speed and weather conditions.

I’m tryin keep battery above 20%. My car have free supercharger but closest one 12 ml away in JFK airport (Welcome to NYC). Rest of them in NYC on paid parking lots. This is why I’m not charging at home but still have lev 2 original Tesla charger. Usually I charge car once per week on supercharger 16 ml away when driving to gym (welcome to NYC again - one hour in traffic). On Thanksgiving 12 superchargers open 1.5 ml away for me (I was waiting for this place almost 9 months (Supercharger - Brooklyn, NY).
About this case. I drive to Manhattan 16 ml away (32 round trip) but because cold weather consumption was ~450-500 W/ml - much more than expected.
I hope this answer all your questions.
I’m familiar with precondition but not sure what is most energy efficient- drive with cold battery or spend some energy on precondition and run on warm battery. Can’t find anny reliable information about it. Also I drive these 14 ml for 44 (!!!) min with car seats and heater on and hope this enough to worm up battery but look like I was wrong. Just want to be sure this is normal with such car speed and weather conditions.
At 23% the battery is essentially dead. All non essential functions are stopped at 20%, to hopefully save the battery from irreparable damage. I would recommend you maintain it around 70% to 80%. Besides, charging at home should be much less expensive, even in NJ. 400-500 wh/mile would be expected with such a low state of charge. Charge it up overnight, every night, set your departure time to a reasonable value. The vehicle will be charged up daily for you, and your battery will have a long life.

Reactions: Genie
Isn't this time sufficient for battery heating?
Nope. I don't think it will heat the battery to 100% regen availability on its own, only from waste heat. (This may be a change from prior behavior.)

I’m familiar with precondition but not sure what is most energy efficient- drive with cold battery or spend some energy on precondition and run on warm battery. Can’t find anny reliable information about it.
I suspect that it is more energy efficient to drive with partial regeneration than to heat the battery enough to enable it all the way. (Which is why Tesla doesn't fully heat the battery when preconditioning.)

Reactions: abalexab
Really cheaper than free?
If you have free, then no, obviously. However, Supercharging is hard on the battery, and it discourages good charging habits, like slow charging overnight, every night, and you not being as inclined to preheat the vehicle on those cold winter mornings. Back when I had free supercharging, I still charged at home overnight, every night. It is pretty cheap for me. In October, the total amount for at home charging for two Teslas, was $14. My electric utility only charges me 2.7¢/kWh to charge our vehicles, through a special EV tariff. Supercharging rates are nearly twenty times that.

However, Supercharging is hard on the battery
Is it really?

We compared cars that fast charge at least 90% of the time to cars that fast charge less than 10% of the time. In other words, people who almost exclusively fast charge their car and people who very rarely fast charge. The results show no statistically significant difference in range degradation between Teslas that fast charge more than 90% of the time and those that fast charge less than 10% of the time.

@DCGOO I don't fully understand your response "Consider the source..."

Are you insinuating the report results are not accurate and should not be considered valid or are you insinuating the opposite, the report is valid and is another tool in the tool bag for discounting the rumors that constant Supercharging is not good for your battery?

There are many Tesla owners that live in apartments where they only have the supercharger network to get their charge from.

Thank you.

Reactions: MP3Mike
@DCGOO I don't fully understand your response "Consider the source..."

Are you insinuating the report results are not accurate and should not be considered valid or are you insinuating the opposite, the report is valid and is another tool in the tool bag for discounting the rumors that constant Supercharging is not good for your battery?

There are many Tesla owners that live in apartments where they only have the supercharger network to get their charge from.

Thank you.
I m insinuating that study was prepared by an organization that promotes or sells DC fast charging systems. I'm not saying it is inaccurate, just that I would prefer to take advice from a manufacturer of EVs. That's all. Most Teslas use NMC batteries, a few (now) use LFP batteries. LFPs can handle much more abuse than NMC. So it kinda depends.

Charge at home while your car is in storage for the night. Use Superchargers if you need to. IOW both are OK. For me, using a supercharger would be a real pain in the tail, if I am home, and I have multiple supercharger sites within ten minutes of my house.

What are you taking about? Recurrent doesn't sell or promote DC fast charging... At least as far as I can tell they are about research and helping people understand the health of EV batteries.
I also have account with Recurrent and read they study about supercharging. You are right. They are not selling or promoting anything - just collecting statistics. BTW - we are very far away from discussion topic )))

If you have free, then no, obviously. However, Supercharging is hard on the battery, and it discourages good charging habits, like slow charging overnight, every night, and you not being as inclined to preheat the vehicle on those cold winter mornings. Back when I had free supercharging, I still charged at home overnight, every night. It is pretty cheap for me. In October, the total amount for at home charging for two Teslas, was $14. My electric utility only charges me 2.7¢/kWh to charge our vehicles, through a special EV tariff. Supercharging rates are nearly twenty times that.
Welcome to NYC. My electric bill including all fees and charges ~ 32 c/kwh. SmartCharge NYC returning me 10c per kWh for off-hour charging 12AM to 8 AM. But free is always free )))
Plus at the beginning I was hit very hard - I connect my level 2 charger to our Condo grid And they start charging us demand charges. Price for electricity jump to 4.5 USD/kWh (not cents - dollars!!!) because condo itself consuming only 150-200 kWh. Google what is demand charges - they are for business only - not for residential accounts. I have to compensate 2000 USD (!!!) back to budget and open case with Public Service Commission who is regulating monopoly in NY state. But will lose probably. Lesson learned)))

I know this is a model X you are talking about, and I am about to talk about my 2018 Model 3, but I live in Southern California, drive around on summer tires year round, and have a 40 mile (each way) commute to work and back. I do not supercharge but I dont think its relevant for this point I am about to make.

In southern California, where it RARELY is below 42 degrees, and I park in a fully enclosed, insulated, drywalled garage, I can leave home in my model 3 driving to the office, and drive almost all the way there (40 miles, just over 1 hour) and still have limited regen dots appearing on my display, indicating limited regen.

As I mentioned the model 3 and X are different Teslas, but as to the multiple exclamation point thread title about regen not being fully restored after a 14 mile 40 minute drive, I dont find that unusual at all. Perhaps model X is different though.