Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cant decide which car to get, Model S 2016 with MCU1 or new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cant decide which car to get, Model S 2016 with MCU1 or new Model 3.
I got a new job that will require me to commute about 20 miles. Dont plant to do any long trips with this car.
I did test drive both yesterday and i'm still undecided.
After driving M3 for 30 min i was surprised how it is easy and fun to drive.
My main concern before driving it was size, too small, but after driving i really didnt feel it was much smaller then MS inside.
I like MS exterior more, and a bit more space it trunk but im not sure im going to use that space anyway.
My main concern about MS is older MCU, yellowing screen and slightly higher insurance.
I know this is forum about M3 but if anyone here had same doubts before buying new car please explain what car you choose and why

thanx

Reactions: ElectricEel
Sounds like you already decided on the Model 3. It’s much more modern, the landscape display makes much more sense, and its technology is much newer than the 2016 Model S. Go for it!

We were to place order on the Model S 2016 last week but decided to test drive M3 . That changed our mind now.
Still undecided. But you are right, technology looks much newer in M3 and new 2019 MS price is just out of our range.

I got a new job that will require me to commute about 20 miles. Dont plant to do any long trips with this car.
My main concern before driving it was size, too small, but after driving i really didnt feel it was much smaller then MS inside.
I like MS exterior more, and a bit more space it trunk but im not sure im going to use that space anyway.
My main concern about MS is older MCU, yellowing screen and slightly higher insurance.
I know this is forum about M3 but if anyone here had same doubts before buying new car please explain what car you choose and why

thanx

Are you asking that question in the Model 3 Section of TMC?

Completely subjective, but I always prefer smaller cars - better dynamically, better looks, and more practical (in terms of slotting in traffic, maneuverability). I always seek the smallest cars that fits my minimum cabin/storage requirements. The Model 3 is by no means a subcompact. And I do think it looks much better than the S.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Completely subjective, but I always prefer smaller cars - better dynamically, better looks, and more practical (in terms of slotting in traffic, maneuverability). I always seek the smallest cars that fits my minimum cabin/storage requirements. The Model 3 is by no means a subcompact. And I do think it looks much better than the S.

I wonder what kind of response he's getting by asking this in the Model S portion of TMC.

• Funny
Reactions: youngmcdonald
i personally dont think the model s interior is same size than the 3 at all. the S is way wider and imho more space in the back, particularly if the driver is very tall.

The model S is 1.5 inches wider than the model 3 and the additional width is in the console - not the seats.

The seat is 1.5 inches higher off the floor in the model S than the model 3 which provides more perceived leg room.

The model S is 1.5 inches wider than the model 3 and the additional width is in the console - not the seats.

The seat is 1.5 inches higher off the floor in the model S than the model 3 which provides more perceived leg room.

If I sit in the Model S I can comfortably sit behind my drivers seat. If I sit comfortably in the Model 3 it is essentially not possible to sit directly behind me. I think the issue is partially that the batteries elevate the floor and I like to sit really close to the ground. That means that the feet of the rear passenger do not fit underneath the seat.

We have a 2017 MX and 2018 M3, and I would drive the M3 any day over the MX. The MX with MCU 1 is so slow on everything on the screen. Navigation is so much better on the M3... it zooms in when driving local streets, zoom out when on freeway. On the MX, you have to look at the local street on the left hand side dash display... look at the next turns on the center screen. Left, right, left, right.....

M3 has 4 dashcams. MX with MCU1 (AP 2.5) has only 3. And if you buy a MS 2016, I think it is AP 2.0 so you don't get sentry mode cameras recording. On and you cant watch netflix, youtube, sing careoke on the M3.. but not on the older MCU 1 cars.

I think the only advantage of a 2016 MS is that it is bigger if you need the space. I have a 2015 MS for a loaner for 2 weeks and I ranked it below both our X and 3. The back seat has no head room at all. If you are over 6', your head will touch the glass on top. The M3 actually has more head room in the back.

I drove a Model S for two weeks and I was surprised how much lower tech the car was than my Model 3. After getting used to the razor sharp screen on the Model 3 the Model S screen looks like you are going back to the days of VGA monitors.

The Model S is bigger, but I think it only matters if you have passengers in the back seat. There is plenty of room in the front for the driver and passenger.

And the Model 3 is more fun to drive. The S feels like driving a big family sedan that just happens to be really fast. I had a Lexus LS460 before my Model 3 and the S seemed very similar to me.

Did you get the Model 3 up on the highway or on a bit rougher roads?

I was in the same place, test drove both and decided on an older S:

- *subjective* I like the S looks way more. Everyday I turn my head and look at an S while the 3s I see just blend in the traffic.
- S has quieter cabin and smoother ride. This comes down to preference, if it's important or not. For me it's very.
- hatch! I love a car with a big rear opening :)
- I kind of prefer used and I won't worry about all the small dings from daily use. ppf? pfft :)
- same as above, for not having to take the new car depreciation hit.

I don't care about potential FSD for the 3, I am a firm believer it will not come in the lifetime of the current generation cars.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
If I sit in the Model S I can comfortably sit behind my drivers seat. If I sit comfortably in the Model 3 it is essentially not possible to sit directly behind me. I think the issue is partially that the batteries elevate the floor and I like to sit really close to the ground. That means that the feet of the rear passenger do not fit underneath the seat.

The batteries aren't higher in the Model 3 than they are in the Model S.

The seat is higher in the Model S than the model 3.

Just like the seat is higher off the floor in the Model Y than the Model 3.

It makes no difference where the batteries are.

thanx

We went through the same question. We looked at a used "S" & a new "3". My brother is on his second "S" and even though he loves the "S", he even said to go with the "3" because of the technology etc. We did go with the "3", found the color we needed in Chicago, flew to O'Hare, picked it up and drove back to New Jersey and have never looked back. Easy purchase (we had both Paramus NJ Tesla SC and Westmont IL Tesla SC involved), great delivery experience at Westmont, easy drive back to NJ and super follow up by Paramus.
Go with the "3" ---it makes driving fun again!

thanx
Having owned a 2016 S70 (great car) I sold it after getting my 3 LR RWD. The S has a plusher ride but the 3 is better in so many ways. I won't be going back. No sure if that helps but that was the case for me anyway. Now maybe if that S had been a P100D I would have come to a different conclusion.