Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Increase Charge Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I have a wonky one here. I have a Gen 2 HPWC that is hardwired into an 80amp breaker. When I had a MYP, I could increase the charge rate in the car to 48amps and charge rather quickly. No issues at all.

We took that same charger to a friend's house and had it professionally installed, again to another 80amp breaker. The max he can set his car to is 32amp just like the mobile charger. We can move his down from 32a but can't increase up to 48a. He has either a standard or LR MY, def not a performance.

Any idea what may be going on here?

Model 3 SR+ is limited to 32A. I think a few model Ys were produced with a smaller battery, in which case I would expect them to be limited to 32A as well. If that's not the case then the installer might have changed the internal charger setting to limit power to 32A. There's a rotating switch inside the Gen2 to tell it what the max power is.
EDIT: Obviously that switch must be set correctly for the breaker and wire configuration!

Model 3 SR+ is limited to 32A. I think a few model Ys were produced with a smaller battery, in which case I would expect them to be limited to 32A as well. If that's not the case then the installer might have changed the internal charger setting to limit power to 32A. There's a rotating switch inside the Gen2 to tell it what the max power is.
EDIT: Obviously that switch must be set correctly for the breaker and wire configuration!

Thanks. The dip switch and dial is set correctly. We pulled off the front cover to validate, never changed it from my setup.

Hey guys, I have a wonky one here. I have a Gen 2 HPWC that is hardwired into an 80amp breaker. When I had a MYP, I could increase the charge rate in the car to 48amps and charge rather quickly. No issues at all.

We took that same charger to a friend's house and had it professionally installed, again to another 80amp breaker. The max he can set his car to is 32amp just like the mobile charger. We can move his down from 32a but can't increase up to 48a. He has either a standard or LR MY, def not a performance.

Any idea what may be going on here?

You dont say what car "your friend" has.

I suspect that, as mentioned by @GtiMart , "your friends" tesla is one that only comes with a 32 amp charger (the charger is in the car, the wall connector is just a very fancy extension cord which announces how much power is available to the car).

If your friend has any Model 3 SR (SR or SR+) or the Model Y SR, 32 amps is the max it will take.

If your friend has some Long Range / Performance tesla, then its possible that one of the onboard chargers (on the car) has an issue. The LR teslas have 3 different 16amp modules that allow charging (3 X 16 = 48) the SR / SR+ teslas have 2 (2 X 16 = 32). I might have the names slightly wrong (not sure they are called charging modules), but I am fairly confident there are 3 of them in LR teslas and 2 in SR/SR+.

Usually, though, the simplest answer is the correct one, so I suspect your friends tesla is not a Long range or performance one.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and GtiMart