Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC only charging at 32/48A, always charged at 48/48A for prior 10 months until now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 MYP and have TWC installed both at my home and office. Both TWC have dedicated 60a breakers and I've always been able to charge at full 48A until last week I checked and it was only charging at 32/48A at home. I charged this morning at my office, and same thing it will only charge at 32A. I have not changed any settings with the TWC, tried starting/stopping/restarting at both locations and still only get 32A. Any ideas on what is going on or what to check? I realize it still charges pretty quick at 32A, but had electricians install to spec to allow the full 48A and have never had an issue getting 48A until now.

IMG_1580.jpeg

It is helpful that you have identical TWC setup at home and work. You can try rebooting your Tesla Model Y but it may be that the on-board charger in your Tesla Model Y requires service (parts replaced.) The on-board charger in the Tesla Model Y has three AC-to-DC converters, each capable of supporting up to 16 amps. If one of these units has failed then charging would be limited to 32 amps. You should create a service request in the Tesla app. Be sure to attach a photo of the charging screen to the service request; let Tesla Service know that this happens at both locations where you have TWC with 48 amp charging capability. Please let us know when this has been resolved by Tesla.

Last edited:
The on-board charger has likely blown a channel. The charger (aka PCS) is made up of three circuits, each handling 16a to add up to 48a. As one fails, your top charging speed goes down by 16a. It's good that you're still under warranty as it's a pricy repair...so much so that many people just decide to live with the degraded performance (at least until a second one fails).

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm guessing this would have an effect on supercharging as well? That would be my main concern on a roadtrip if that slows down charging. I have only supercharged a handful of times on a roadtrip but certainly don't want it to be slowed down by anything.

Are there any onboard diagnostics I can check myself before submitting a ticket?

Reactions: MattM24
@carysb7478 Yeah, the wall connectors don't "push" charge into the car. It's the car that "pulls" the charge. And the number of exactly 32A shows that it is part of the car's internal charger that has failed, as those guys mentioned above.

I'm guessing this would have an effect on supercharging as well?
No, not at all. That onboard charger that has partially failed is the device that is converting AC electricity from your home circuit into the high voltage DC that is then on the level to put into the battery. Superchargers are doing that AC to DC conversion in the big cabinets outside of the car and then send the high voltage DC directly into the car. So it is bypassing that onboard charger that has the problem, so Supercharging speed isn't affected by this.

Those charger failures have been a common and frustrating issue on the 3/Y models these last few years. It's a 2 or 3 thousand dollar repair, so if you can live with the 32A charging speed, maybe put it off if you want.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm guessing this would have an effect on supercharging as well? That would be my main concern on a roadtrip if that slows down charging. I have only supercharged a handful of times on a roadtrip but certainly don't want it to be slowed down by anything.

Are there any onboard diagnostics I can check myself before submitting a ticket?
Yeah, you can access error messages in the service menu. If you submit the service ticket in the app, Tesla will also access logs and messages remotely to diagnose before scheduling an appointment. I expect you'll get an estimate showing the repair details and the warranty coverage before you take it in. It won't be a mobile appt as the repair requires quite a bit of disassembly.

This problem shouldn't affect Supercharging, as Supercharging bypasses the on-board charger. However, I suspect that a complete failure of the PCS could do so as it might inhibit the communications needed to do Supercharging.

Figured I’d post an update…

PCS was bad, replaced under warranty and back to charging at 48A now

Tesla cancelled my original appointment and told me to call TWC support, but I pushed back and insisted it wasn’t an issue with the TWC and had it reappointed for fix. Glad I was persistent but unfortunate that I had to be
I realize it was covered under warranty, but did you happen to see what the price woudl have been?

Have a 2018 Model 3 LR that will only charge to 32 amp, when set for 48. Wall charger is fine, since my other car will charge at 48.). Since I'm out of warranty, thought I;d inquire about the repair/replacement cost if anyone knows. Thanks

I realize it was covered under warranty, but did you happen to see what the price woudl have been?
It’s about $1800 for most people.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H