Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't lane change to the left with FSD subscription

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I'm sure I'm just being an idiot, appreciate people's input. I just subscribed to FSD in my model 3, and went into the settings and turned on navigate on autopilot. I was under the impression that when autopilot is engaged, if I turn on my turn signal, the car will change lanes accordingly if safe. I tried it on a 4 lane highway. This works quite well changing to the lane to the right of my lane. But it doesn't work trying to change to the lane to the left, not once. The turn signal turns on for about 1-2 seconds and the animation displays a broken lane line to the left for those 1-2 seconds, and then the turn signal just turns off. I tried rebooting the car and it didn't help.

Feeling a bit Zoolander.

I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Yes, thank you. I am pushing it all the way down, through the 2 clicks.

Also, when it wants to do a lane change to the left to pass a slower car, it asks for my permission. Regardless of whether I use the left or right stalk to confirm, it never does the lane change.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
That does sound abnormal.

Any error messages about malfunctioning cameras or sensors or anything like that?

And has this happened multiple times in various light conditions? (If only once, wondering if sun glare from the left side could have contributed to this.)

Thanks. In my several hours of testing today it's not once changed to the left lane. Heading north and south. Took it to a car wash in case one of the cameras was dirty. And weirdly, no error messages. And autopilot otherwise working fine.

Thanks for all your help. Seems like I should bring this up with the service center. Maybe it's more than just me...

I have had this occasionally, nearly always when trying to change to the left lane. Some have fixed that with a new left repeater camera. I recently talked to a mobile service tech at a Supercharger who recommended noting the times this occurs and then submitting a service request. They can look at the logs and see what's happening.

• Informative
Yes, thank you. I did look at the image from the left repeater and it looks fine.

The good thing to come out of this is that I've had my car for more than 2 years and not known what name to give it. Now I think I'll look for a name referencing the movie Zoolander.

The car needs to see lane markers on both sides of the target lane in order to auto lane change. Check the visualization to see if both markers are visible. Also, auto lane change won’t cross a solid lane marker, needs to be dashed.

The following conditions have to be met for Auto Lane Change to work.

• The turn signal is fully engaged.
• The ultrasonic sensors and Autopilot cameras do not detect a vehicle or obstacle up to the center of the target lane.
• The lane markings indicate that a lane change is permitted.
• The view of the camera(s) is not obstructed.
• Your vehicle does not detect another vehicle in its blind spot.
• Midway through the lane change, Auto Lane Change can detect the outside lane marking of the target lane.
• Driving speed is at least 30 mph (45 km/h).