Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Alarm Going Off "Randomly"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 MYP here. Yesterday, my vehicle's alarm went off about 5 times in a few hour span. I thought it might have been a fly, etc. as it stopped after driving it for a bit. Well, until tonight. Went off again out of nowhere. I turned it off via the app, but the phone down, and a little while later, picked my phone up and opened the app. The vehicle instantly started going off again.

Anyone had this issue before? App setting off the alarm? I read that it possibly might be a LV battery?

EDIT: It’s definitely the app setting the alarm off when I open it on my phone. Tested twice and alarm went off twice. Anyone have a clue why this would be setting it off?

Last edited:
2023 MYP here. Yesterday, my vehicle's alarm went off about 5 times in a few hour span. I thought it might have been a fly, etc. as it stopped after driving it for a bit. Well, until tonight. Went off again out of nowhere. I turned it off via the app, but the phone down, and a little while later, picked my phone up and opened the app. The vehicle instantly started going off again.

Anyone had this issue before? App setting off the alarm? I read that it possibly might be a LV battery?
Is it the car alarm or Sentry Mode that is being triggered?

Sometimes LED lights such as those found in video surveillance cameras can trigger Sentry mode.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Is it the car alarm or Sentry Mode that is being triggered?

Sometimes LED lights such as those found in video surveillance cameras can trigger Sentry mode.

The alarm. Sentry mode is disabled when it happens. That being said, it’s definitely the all triggering it. I just opened the app, and it circled/waking and bingo… alarm went off.

Now, what’s making the app do this and how do I prevent it?

The alarm. Sentry mode is disabled when it happens. That being said, it’s definitely the all triggering it. I just opened the app, and it circled/waking and bingo… alarm went off.

Now, what’s making the app do this and how do I prevent it?
Typical car alarm switches and tilt sensor. Also glass break detector. Suspect a bad door/frunk sensor or bad wiring. (One post noted that water intrusion had compromised the car alarm wiring. Has it been raining recently?)

Do you have the trailer hitch option (the hitch comes with a wire harness that could possibly be related to the issue.)

Last edited:
Typical car alarm switches and tilt sensor. Also glass break detector. Suspect a bad door/frunk sensor or bad wiring. (One post noted that water intrusion had compromised the car alarm wiring.)

Do you have the trailer hitch option (the hitch comes with a wire harness that could possibly be related to the issue.)

Actually, it was pooping yesterday, and that’s when it started. No, I don’t have a tow hitch though. odd!

Last edited:
Hmmm. Not to give you busy work, but is there a way you can can point out this “sleeve”? Where is it located? Frunk as well? I’ll take a look if it’s easy enough.
The sleeve is probably a small tube or bushing that holds the sensor where the sensor is installed in the door or door frame. Search on Youtube for a video of the Tesla Model Y door disassembly as it might show the sensor.

Tesla Mobile Service should be able to make the needed repair.

The sleeve is probably a small tube or bushing that holds the sensor where the sensor is installed in the door or door frame. Search on Youtube for a video of the Tesla Model Y door disassembly as it might show the sensor.

Tesla Mobile Service should be able to make the needed repair.

now I have a new issue. The rear passenger side door won’t be seen as closed. It’s always open, even when closed. The window won’t go up as well as it’s not reading its shut. Seriously can’t win with this door

now I have a new issue. The rear passenger side door won’t be seen as closed. It’s always open, even when closed. The window won’t go up as well as it’s not reading its shut. Seriously can’t win with this door
Have you tried the window actuator calibration step outlined in the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual?

On the positive side you may have located the source of the false car alarms.

Since you have the 15V low voltage lithium battery module you could enter Service mode and run the low voltage test. (My 2020 does not have this option.) Check Youtube for information on how to enter Service mode in the latest Tesla Model Y vehicle.

Since you have the 15V low voltage lithium battery module you could enter Service mode and run the low voltage test. (My 2020 does not have this option.) Check Youtube for information on how to enter Service mode in the latest Tesla Model Y vehicle.

Good call. Here’s what I see. Seems all good.

A67C3756-8A2F-4B62-B87E-711F9EA93BCF.jpeg

I am virtually certain that @JaeTheDev has multiples of these items unless they removed them all from their vehicle after installing them.,

Interesting (Service mode). Do you have any aftermarket accessories installed such as puddle lights in the doors, illuminated door sills, etc.

I had 3rd party puddle lights on the front but took them off the other day, and replaced with the OEM ones. I never had any in the rear, where this problem lies.

Illuminated door sills I do have. Could that be it? I ask as it runs off a battery.