Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver on P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their description of track mode worries me:
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, and every reaction prompts an appropriate response from the Tesla's computers. What's amazing about the experience is that without the torque interruptions necessitated by shifting or the distraction of a howling engine, you have the space in your mind to pick out just what's going on. It's almost as if time slows down. And yet, it all doesn't feel as digital as some heavily computerized super-sedans of recent years. The machine is doing real, mechanical work, and it's a pleasure and a marvel to experience it.

While on the face of it, this is an extremely complimentary statement, the thing that worries me is the message behind the message: i.e., You can feel what the computers are doing.

To me, if they truly tuned the dynamics control well, you shouldn't have a clue that the computers are working on your behalf. All you'll notice is a somewhat unnatural level of stability, or a higher level of throttle-steering, or whatever their goal is with the torque vectoring. It should seamlessly react to your inputs in a way that doesn't introduce a feedback loop.

If you can tell a computer's working behind the scenes, that means that there will come a moment when it does something when you don't want it to, and you will end up fighting it. (Sort of like a brute force traction control that's better disabled for spirited driving.)

I'd like to see them offer the simplistic track mode, too - you know, the one that disables the controls - and see some side-by-side comparisons.

ll they did was autocross it for a few minutes? This hardly counts as a track review.
Did you read the article?
"But in 40 or 50 minutes of nigh-continuous tomfoolery on the autocross course, the car never cut power, the brakes exhibited zero sign of fade, and the only casualty seemed to be 100 miles of range."

40-50 min. on an autocross course has more cornering than 3 or 4 track sessions.

Reactions: Gavyne
Cornering yes but we all know how well the Model 3 handles. They didn't answer what everyone wants to know... Is it actually a capable track car? If it's an autocrosser only I think they should change what they call "track" mode.