Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spirited Street Driving Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I didn't put this in the software forum because I assumed more like minded people might be lurking in this section.

I have a '22 performance and I'm pretty happy with it. I've done a couple of short track type days in it but they're pretty few and far between. Something I thoroughly enjoyed in my previous car was the ability to tap the traction button to enable a reduced traction intervention mode and allow myself some small, cheeky slides on my commute to or from work (or wherever). Not big, smokey drifts but just fun little slides. My commute route is pretty low/no traffic for some parts.

I'm struggling with the inability to do this in the 3. Stopping, engaging park, menus, accept track mode disclaimer, cooling into overdrive. Do my little fun and then turn it off again 30s later. It's a bit of a mood killer.

Has anyone found any shortcuts around this? Do the S3XY buttons with their track mode toggle help this? Any other things I can do to make the car a bit more spirited without needing to go full track mode? I realise it's software controlled AWD and not i6t RWD like I used to have but it's not like it can't slide a bit when properly set up in track mode.

Reactions: tm1v2
I do have one of my S3XY button set to toggle track mode, which helps some in that I can hit the button before I put it in park and skip a couple of steps (because it goes straight into track mode on the last-used profile as soon as you put it in park). However, it still feels clunkier than other car because you have to be stopped for the ~3-4 seconds it takes to engage and disengage the parking brake.

(For anyone judging on the internet, just assume I have this feature so I can quickly do power slides around neighborhoods and playgrounds to show off for the kids. Or maybe it is so I can do donuts in crowded parking lots so everyone knows I’m awesome. Either way, drugs are involved for sure).

Last edited:
That's better than nothing. I might grab them and see how I feel. My wife will certainly be a lot happier than if I rebought my old car haha. Thank you for the info.
(For anyone judging on the internet, just assume I have this feature so I can quickly do power slides around neighborhoods and playgrounds to show off for the kids. Or maybe it is so I can do donuts in crowded parking lots so everyone knows I’m awesome. Either way, drugs are involved for sure)
Haha this is perfect.

Just saw the sexy buttons guys apparently have a DSC off button coming... That'll be interesting.

Reactions: Lindenwood
(For anyone judging on the internet, just assume I have this feature so I can quickly do power slides around neighborhoods and playgrounds to show off for the kids. Or maybe it is so I can do donuts in crowded parking lots so everyone knows I’m awesome. Either way, drugs are involved for sure).
🤣

I almost spit my coffee out onto my laptop screen reading this, rofl. Images of mustangs, "cars and coffee" entrances and exits, etc ran through my head... lmao.

🤣

I almost spit my coffee out onto my laptop screen reading this, rofl. Images of mustangs, "cars and coffee" entrances and exits, etc ran through my head... lmao.
I like how when I get a good slide going with my window cracked, my vape smoke trails out perfectly behind me.

Damn I’m getting cynical…

(PSA: use caution with the sliding, though! You can’t really overpower the tires in a straight line, and there is no clutch to drop/kick. Further, under throttle, the power output of the front motor only tapers out as the steering angle increases. Therefore, the only way you can swing the rear end out is with a lot of momentum in a relatively sharp turn, which can put you into Mustang Meme territory pretty quickly!)