Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla will be kept outdoors and I live in Maryland so we can get snow and ice in the winter and the summers are hot.

I've never used a car cover for my other cars, but am considering it for my Model Y. I wouldn't use it every evening, but whenever there might be a forecast of heavy snow, ice, hail, etc.

Does anyone else use a car cover that they could recommend? Preferably one that has good protection and is easy to take on and off.

Thanks in advance...

I haven't purchased one yet, but have been thinking about this one...

Just $50 could be what I'm looking for. Just want to cover it when snowstorms are forecast or perhaps a windy day to protect from branches.

How could I cover do more harm than good?

Reactions: Kupe
I haven't purchased one yet, but have been thinking about this one...

Just $50 could be what I'm looking for. Just want to cover it when snowstorms are forecast or perhaps a windy day to protect from branches.

How could I cover do more harm than good?
I was looking at that same exact one. “They” are saying that when the wind gets up under there with dirt, it messes up the pain??!!

I got this one:

It has two straps that go underneath the car, one behind the front wheels and the other in front of the rear wheels. These are essential for keeping the cover in place in the wind (it's very windy here). It would be difficult for one person to put the cover on when there's a lot of wind, but I imagine this is true of all covers. There's elastic around the front and the back. It's all pretty taut when the straps are tightened. I don't think anything will get between the cover and the car once it's in place.

I ended up using a 6 foot rod to slide the straps under the car from one side to the other. You can attach the strap to the end of the rod with painters tap or a strong clip or something like that.

Protip: always use the straps.

Reactions: James DubVille
I got this one:

It has two straps that go underneath the car, one behind the front wheels and the other in front of the rear wheels. These are essential for keeping the cover in place in the wind (it's very windy here). It would be difficult for one person to put the cover on when there's a lot of wind, but I imagine this is true of all covers. There's elastic around the front and the back. It's all pretty taut when the straps are tightened. I don't think anything will get between the cover and the car once it's in place.

I ended up using a 6 foot rod to slide the straps under the car from one side to the other. You can attach the strap to the end of the rod with painters tap or a strong clip or something like that.

Protip: always use the straps.
how has your car cover held up? I'm really concerned with the inside liner, and will it scratch the paint. Many don't have any type of lining. Been happy with your Bouge RV cover? Thanks

how has your car cover held up? I'm really concerned with the inside liner, and will it scratch the paint. Many don't have any type of lining. Been happy with your Bouge RV cover? Thanks
I'm lazy and don't use it often so I can't comment on durability. It seems fine. I'd buy it again. The inside of the cover is very soft so I don't think it will scratch the paint. The main risk of scratches would be if something gets between the cover and the car or sticks to the inside of the cover while you're putting it on.

My car has been scratched a few times from other things (my dog and a bush). I took it to a local body shop and they made it like new for not much money. If there were scratches from a cover I think they would be very minor compared to the ones I got fixed.

For me, the key thing was having straps that keep the cover on the car. IMO the greatest risk of damage would be from the cover blowing around and buffeting against the car. I think car covers generally work and prevent much more damage than they cause.

The Tesmanian car cover is good quality material and their service is great. Also, you can get it for around $40 when it’s on sale with a promo code.

However, I ended up looking for another brand because it is actually black (even though it looks reflective silver in the pictures). Dark black. I live in SoCal and that would melt my car. If you live in less sun-intensive areas, it’d work great for rain, snow, or dust. Tesmanian refunded my money quickly.

Covers protect far more than they damage. Only damage I can conceive of is that they hold moisture in once it leaks through. So you have a slightly moist car every morning from the dew or after rain. That is nothing compared to the damage the sun will do to your exterior and interior.

Hi. Does your OEM outdoor Tesla Cover has any thickness that can potentially protect from Hail?
Car covers are a royal PITA. They're only useful when the car is meticulously clean, otherwise dirt gets imbedded in the cover and acts like sandpaper on the paint. This is ultimately worse than leaving the car exposed.

HAIL: This is the ONLY time I use a car cover. I cover the horizontal surfaces with moving quilts and then secure the multi-layered Covercraft cover all around the bottom of the car.

Reactions: zqmisc
Car covers are a royal PITA. They're only useful when the car is meticulously clean, otherwise dirt gets imbedded in the cover and acts like sandpaper on the paint. This is ultimately worse than leaving the car exposed.

HAIL: This is the ONLY time I use a car cover. I cover the horizontal surfaces with moving quilts and then secure the multi-layered Covercraft cover all around the bottom of the car.
Agree with your concern. I am just evaluating if this would be worth it to have it in the car and the weather forecasts hail and you’re not home. May be the cover comes handy then. It’s in the garage at home so no cover needed otherwise. Obviously the speed/ease of putting on the cover plays a role too.