Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car goes to sleep while charging with J1772 adaptor after 5 min.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a charpoint home charger and recently the car will not stay awake with the J1772 adaptor. After 5 minutes the car goes to sleep and says charging interrupted. If I load my app and wait a minute for the car to wake up it will charge again for 5 min and fall back asleep. Supercharging does not do this. Anyone have this problem or a solution? I've rebooted both the car and charger, tried another J1772 adaptor. I'm out of ideas.

I was gonna say that it must be your charger.. because I have a Chargepoint Home 25 for my Model 3 and it doesn't behave like you are describing.

Good Luck!

Yeah I've had it since September, I hope their warranty is valid, I opened it up and it was burnt on one of the wires .. Kind of scary maybe it got loose, but I know we had it firm in there.

Last edited:
As a EE and having spent several years in electrical construction, I have found that it is a good idea to check high current connections after a month or so of operation. After several thermal cycles the connections can become loose.

I installed my 14-50 receptacle and breaker and know all connections were tight. After a month of charging I was able to tighten all of the screws a good 1/4 turn.

Reactions: SammichLover
Yeah I've had it since September, I hope their warranty is valid, I opened it up and it was burnt on one of the wires .. Kind of scary maybe it got loose, but I know we had it firm in there.
could have not been installed properly. Might want to look at those connections. because perhaps your contractor is at fault and therefore responsible (so long as you were above board and got a permit and hired a licensed and insured contractor)

Sent a picture to ChargePoint. Verified what I could. They will be sending me a new one.
My first AeroViroment's magic smoke escaped from it, too. :) Yeah, a bit scary knowing it melted a small hole in the back of the housing and left a bit of a scorch on the wall there. But that's why you've got sheetrock, and enclosed it would run out of O2 quite quickly as long as it doesn't also breech the sides of the housing.

Mine had function for several months for the Bolt. Only a few weeks with the Model 3 and it died. My guess is that the Model 3 LR draws "real" 32A rather than an approximation of that for the Bolt. So I've turned the Model 3 down to 28A at home, until I get around to installing the HPWC (that is still sitting in a box right next to where I'm mounting it ).

Another thing, like jdcollins5 points out, is you have to watch the terminals on this higher power stuff. I was actually somewhat concerned when I first installed the station back in 2017. I didn't like how that particular terminal "felt". I went back later and checked on it, too, but to no avail. I think it was just a factory flaw with that particular terminal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯