TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car hasn't sleep for last 5+ hours?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Aug 5, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I was in the garage and hear a slight whirl indicating my Tesla wasn't asleep. Since that wasn't expected I went and checked my API logs. She hasn't slept at all in the last 5+ hours. Losing 1% every 4 hours (ish). I just rebooted the screen to see if that will do it, nothing yet. I'll post an update in a few....anyone else had this? She normally is VERY good about sleeping, but this is a new firmware. BTW- Not hot enough here to have battery conditioning be the culprit. Probably 85 degrees in the garage.

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

You seemed to have diagnosed your own problem. Who can go to sleep when an API is constantly pinging it?

No, seriously, that's it. Stop the external applications from accessing the car to allow it to go to sleep. You are pretty much treating it like a nurse in the hospital, waking it up to check on it.

3. insaneoctane

The reboot seems to have fixed it.

My API only pulls data if she's already awake and it only queries every 15 minutes unless in drive or charging. The general consensus is that that polling rate will NOT interfere with sleeping....

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

I haven't see the details of the API, but how does it poll only when it is awake? Doesn't it have to poll to see if it is awake?
    Other places that I have been reading definitely indicate that polling has an impact on the car sleeping.

5. insaneoctane

You can ping the Tesla server to see if your car is awake ... If it is awake, then you can poll the car.

• Informative x 1
  6. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Funny thing. My car was not asleep most of Sunday too. From late afternoon till 10:50pm. I did nothing. I just gave up and let it drain it’s battery out. It was losing about 1 mile per hour at that time.
    I don’t use any external apps but I use the iPhone widget to monitor.

7. Lovesword

Lovesword Member

I think I experienced this same thing recently. I charged to 80% Sunday, left for work with 77% on Monday. Didnt check what it was last night but had driven 25 miles. Left for work today at 62%... I too did a reset, had to do two in fact because after the first one, Slacker was doing the "I only play static noises" thing and pausing/skipping wasn't working. Parked at work with 58%... hopefully the reset helped.

I'm on FW 24.1 for reference.

8. Lovesword

Lovesword Member

About lunch time here and, though I know better, I opened the app to check my SOC... still at 58%. Great! I think the reboot fixed my issue as well. Thanks for posting @insaneoctane

• Like x 1
  9. insaneoctane

So......
    Here we are on Sunday again and as of 8:30am my car has been awake for almost 2 hours now. I haven't been near it or even in the garage! I'm wondering if we have a bug here or something?

10. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

What SW version?

11. insaneoctane

2018.26.3 be4b11e

3 hours now. I'm going outside to reboot the stupid thing.

12. insaneoctane

#12 insaneoctane, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Rebooted. Still awake for last ~hour. Quite irritating.

BTW for those of you who think I am causing my own problem, I am not pinging the car at all, just the Tesla server while I troubleshoot the problem....

13. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Try melatonin and no caffeine after 12pm.

14. dano9258

dano9258 Member

I've had that off and on too. For two straight days it wouldn't sleep. Didn't change anything and now it is sleeping again. I give up trying to figure it out. Seems like it does what it does

15. insaneoctane

I haven't seen this behavior until this firmware. Still awake. I turned bluetooth off both phones, no change

16. MattMatt

MattMatt Member

You also could just let the car do its thing. Maybe it is communicating with the mothership or performing some type of file system clean up, or who knows what else.

While I have ability to check if my car is sleeping or not I choose not to waste time from my life worrying about it.

My two cents.

Matt

17. insaneoctane

Well you've wasted time replying to this thread interestingly enough....
    Anyway, I totally get there are people who don't monitor these things or care....but there are others that do care and always just leaving it to Tesla isn't always the best outcome. This thread is really more for that type.

For anyone else interested in the play by play, I drove it out to get lunch, but that hasn't changed its inability to sleep. I've rebooted one last time and I'll probably call it unsolveable by me at this point.

• Like x 1
  18. insaneoctane

Still online. Been online since 8:30am and it's 10:30pm now. I do hear a very slight whirl if I listen very carefully. Probably a pump of some kind. Don't know, but if I see the same behavior tomorrow, I'll call Tesla about it.
    The drain impact is low, losing 3 miles of range in 4 hours, but annoying and worse than before.

19. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I get these random awake for long hour stretches too. I’ve now learned to ignore it. In the end over a week i still averaged 4 mi loss a day.

I think the car might stay awake to charge the 12V battery.

20. SigNC

SigNC Member

i'm on 28.2 and left my car parked in a parking deck for 2 days. It dropped 2% in 48 hours which I was pretty happy with.