Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car no longer waking up from the app/API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also on 2017.34 2448cfc (S75D facelift). I have the alarm enabled.

I've just disabled the alarm and unchecked "Always connected". We'll see what happens tonight.

Using TeslaFi I can see that I was previously on 2017.32.6 ca28227, it didn't auto-enable "Always connected". My car upgraded to its current version on the 9 Sep. However for a few days it still did not auto-enable. It was not until 13 Sep that it stopped sleeping. I only spotted the problem on 22 Sep. I only realised it was auto-enabling a few days ago.

With "always connected" on, my car has >13 miles vampire drain in 24 hours. When the car is sleeping, its about 3 miles. (I have a parking mode dashcam enabled which will be drawing some power even when the car is sleeping.)

Well, it could be that this is a new "feature" in the newer firmware, I will see if it changes to auto-enable when updating from 2017.32 (if I ever get to update, that is).

I also get quite a big drain with Teslafi logging and "Always connected" on, it's not a big practical problem since it's always plugged in when parked at home, but it seems quite wasteful to loose so much when parked.

Update. I disabled the alarm yesterday and the car still auto-enabled "Always connected". So the alarm settings does not seem to be the reason it does this.

I can only assume that Tesla are struggling to to fix the wake feature so as a stop gap are enabling "Always connected".

• Informative
Reactions: Veritas1980
We used to have one problem, Tesla tried to implement a workaround, now we've got two problems.
Problem one, seems to be only happening in Europe, I'd like to get confirmation on that:
"Energy Saving" ON, "Always Connected" OFF.
Expected result: Car goes into deep sleep mode; when trying to connect via app it should take 30 seconds to one minute before the app gets current information from the car. If you get an immediate (< 15 seconds) response, the car wasn't actually asleep, so not relevant to this case.
If you're in North America and using these settings, can you please give feedback if it's still working as expected for you?

Problem two is that Tesla started to remotely(?) change the setting for "Always Connected" from OFF to ON. This seems to be a campaign by Tesla to mitigate problems caused by problem 1; Unfortunately, some people actually want that setting to remain off for the reduced vampire drain; Telsa support might be able to exempt cars from having that "fix" applied.

Thanks, Martin

At last, my car is now sleeping again... and can be woken from the app! (I am in the UK.) The "Always connected" setting is no longer auto-enabled.

I tested it again yesterday after upgrading to the 2017.42 build. Not sure if the build fixed the problem or it was fixed independently.

At last, my car is now sleeping again... and can be woken from the app! (I am in the UK.) The "Always connected" setting is no longer auto-enabled.

I tested it again yesterday after upgrading to the 2017.42 build. Not sure if the build fixed the problem or it was fixed independently.

Well, that’s good news. Unfortunately for me, there’s still no connection and I’m also on 2017.42.

Hi everyone - I just came across this thread as I am experiencing the same issue with the Tesla app when the car is in sleep mode. Has anyone found a work around (except from preventing the car to enter in sleep mode).
Thank you

Hmmm. I was having this problem, but as I reported above, it was resolved in early November. I can report that all is still working. The car is going to sleep and I can wake it with the app. It takes between 30-60 seconds to wake using the app.

I can see from TeslaFi that the car is asleep for most of the time when not in use and it only wakes for scheduled charging at 1am.

It's still not working for me.

But on Friday, a new service center is opening here in Malmö, 15 minutes drive from my place, so I plan on annoying them until they come up with a solution!

Will return if I can get them to answer anything else than "Maybe with the next software update".

Do you find out something other then (It's not working, because you have to use "always connected")?
That is, what Tesla answered me (multiple times).
Well, the service center actually caught fire tonight (not kidding), so it may be some time before they have time to look at this. Don’t know how much the damage is and when they will open again.

I don’t understand why it should be different between cars and country. If others are able to do this, why shouldn’t we?