Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not sleeping - Sep/Oct 23

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone’s whose car is suffering from insomnia please check on screen inside whether it has started to download (or one is pending) a software update.

tl;dr all our timings coincide with continuing troubled software download attempt.

Our car hasn’t slept since going out for a drive on Thursday morning (2 days ago). We got the software update available to download late Wednesday (prompted to connect to wifi) at which point the car went back to sleep for 10 hours. It has suffered its insomnia since returning from that drive at which point it appears to have started to download the update and got around 70% of the way through before suffering WiFi issues (download speed 1B/sec) and stalling. Resetting WiFi only seems to reset progress back to 50%. Now with WiFi turned off having deleted wifi connections and several reboots, car is just stuck prompting to connect to WiFi to download and progress at stalled at around 50%, car not sleeping and battery loss at 8%. Overnight charge recovered that but it averages an overnight top up of 8% which is half what we normally get - a disadvantage of not having 7kW charging.

With WiFi connections deleted, Ideally I just want to reset this download but can’t find a way to unlike in the past where it just gave up after a short period of time.

Last edited:
Can anyone’s whose car is suffering from insomnia please check on screen inside whether it has started to download (or one is pending) a software update.

tl;dr all our timings coincide with continuing troubled software download attempt.

Our car hasn’t slept since going out for a drive on Thursday morning (2 days ago). We got the software update available to download late Wednesday (prompted to connect to wifi) at which point the car went back to sleep for 10 hours. It has suffered its insomnia since returning from that drive at which point it appears to have started to download the update and got around 70% of the way through before suffering WiFi issues (download speed 1B/sec) and stalling. Resetting WiFi only seems to reset progress back to 50%. Now with WiFi turned off having deleted wifi connections and several reboots, car is just stuck prompting to connect to WiFi to download and progress at stalled at around 50%, car not sleeping and battery loss at 8%. Overnight charge recovered that but it averages an overnight top up of 8% which is half what we normally get - a disadvantage of not having 7kW charging.

With WiFi connections deleted, Ideally I just want to reset this download but can’t find a way to unlike in the past where it just gave up after a short period of time.
I haven’t seen anything in the car to indicate a partial download.

I was out in the car today and parked away from home, for the whole time (after I turned Sentry off) the car was asleep. When I got back home it then went asleep again and hasn’t woken since. I’m still on 32.6 and haven’t changed anything away from ‘normal’ so Bluetooth etc still active and haven’t disconnected any third party services.

• Informative
Reactions: Cardo and MrBadger
I haven’t seen anything in the car to indicate a partial download.

I was out in the car today and parked away from home, for the whole time (after I turned Sentry off) the car was asleep. When I got back home it then went asleep again and hasn’t woken since. I’m still on 32.6 and haven’t changed anything away from ‘normal’ so Bluetooth etc still active and haven’t disconnected any third party services.
Update: still asleep since around 30 minutes after I parked up at home. So obviously it’s not related to the app or 3rd party services waking the car as everything is the same there as it was yesterday. The only thing that has changed is that the car was on charge last night and then did a journey today. Odd.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I've broken this out from [uk specific] Software 2023.32 into a separate thread

Update: still asleep since around 30 minutes after I parked up at home. So obviously it’s not related to the app or 3rd party services waking the car as everything is the same there as it was yesterday. The only thing that has changed is that the car was on charge last night and then did a journey today. Odd.
Unfortunately ours returned yesterday from another shortish journey and still was suffering from insomnia. I thought that I had managed to lose the download (car was saying that it was back up to date on 2023.26.9 as of yesterday but not convinced that has stuck as app now showing 'connect to wifi to download') and dicked around to no useful avail trying to re-establish a reliable wifi connection (downlaod speed indicating 0B/min [or sec? its all the same at that speed 😣]) before deleting the wifi connection again but its still sufferring from insomnia. Lost 8% battery yesterday through insomnia and another 4% driving an 8 mile return, so our currently 16% topup is only going to give a net 4% net 24 hour gain which is unsustainable for normal use.

I would raise a service request but car is out of warranty and wanted to try an resolve without involving service.

In the past, if it is the download, Its never been an issue with car sleeping mid download. Taking solace that some others are also suffering from insomnia and hoping we don't have a hardware issue. Now sure what others have in common. IO is turned off and the normally rock solid TeslaFi has never had issues in 4 years and others are seeing similar who are not on TeslaFi. Its only through the use of these type of apps, or noticing abnormal battery drain, that you will know that you have an issue - imho they are giving insight into the issue rather than the cause so I'm not going to go resetting passwords at this stage. Longer drive today, so will see how it behaves after an extended period away from home.

The download looks be almost certainly stuck. Does anyone know how I can reset the download? Ideally without involving SC as I am out of warranty.

Had a picnic in the car this morning. Used my phone as wifi so could guarantee a strong signal and monitor the connection. Was getting 27mbs.

Watched the download get the the 's' of (release) Notes on the in car download screen, at which the progress bar reset itself to approx 50%.

Sat and watched the download complete again, at which point the progress bar stuck at 's'. Checked the app which was showing 100% download complete. Sat for another 15-20 minutes at which point I bought phone back in house with me. Checked progress still showing 100% and gave it another 5 minutes.

Looked again in app, now showing 'connect to wifi to download'. Sigh.

Back again outside, progress bar still at 's' of notes. Wifi disconnected from phone that I had bought inside so not surprising. Waited for what seemed ages (probably less than a minute) for wifi to reconnect to phone. Progress bar on 's' and showing 0B/sec download. App still showing 100% complete.

Waited another 10 minutes or so then exited car leaving phone inside.

On another phone, still showing 100% and even now over an hour later.

I'll go and retrieve phone soon, but looks like the car was indeed stuck in download.

At least now I know it got to 100%. I suspect its now just verifying which normally does occur but only takes a few minutes. This has been veryfying for last hour and half and probably has been going through this sequence for last couple of days which is why it hasn't slept.

Time to force reset the download if only I knew how. What are Tesla likely to do if I raise an issue with car out of warranty?

[UPDATE]
One final reboot attempt and its now given me option to install. FINALLY...

Hopefully install goes through (currently 30%) and car will start sleeping again.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajmorr.is
Yes......

1696156056436.png

Reactions: init6
As per other thread, mine is back to sleeping overnight.

Ours finished charging at 5:30 and had several hours which it would normally have starting sleeping but didn’t. First sleep wasnt until after software reinstalled.

Just got back from day out and would have expected it to have fallen asleep by now but it hasn’t. Sigh.

Doesn’t sound like the same issue as other thread.

We’ve still got the same situation we’ve had for the past week+. Car sleeps overnight fine, but will not remain asleep during the day (timings fit with when we’re up). We’re on 32.6, no sign of any downloads.
IMG_5683.jpeg

After behaving impeccably (or at least, as expected) for 48 hours I've just spotted this from last night;
1696427594285.png

2% battery lost overnight for no particular reason. The only action I have is that at 0.30 every night I automatically set Valet mode for security (means the key card must be used to access/drive, so hopefully reducing any relay type of thefts or entry). I doubt it is this causing it because for two nights prior the car slept as expected all night after valet mode was turned on, and nothing has changed there.

Actually, I've just looked at the logs for my automation and it appears that for some reason it was running every 20 minutes (by design, if Valet mode was not activated it retries until it is until a specific time in the morning). I've modified it so it should be more reliable, although since it was running OK overnight before I'm not sure why it would suddenly change.