Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dailo

Jul 22, 2017
Bay Area
I recently picked up my Model 3 and noticed that it never disconnects from my WiFi network at home. Seems like I am losing 1% battery every hour but have no idea what is keeping the car awake. Have disabled Bluetooth on my phone and disabled cabin heat protection. Not using any apps to monitor my car either. Is the car always supposed to be connected to WiFi?

How long is "recently". Why do you say it never goes to sleep. It is not supposed to disconnect from Wi-Fi when at home, that part stays awake and is how you get updates. Bluetooth on the phone doesn't keep it awake, but third-party apps definitely will.

When you go to the car, is it completely quiet? Then it's asleep.

I see. On my X the WiFi isn’t active when the car is sleeping so I assumed it is the same for the 3. The daily loss on the 3 is so much higher. I don’t check the app often and since last night to this morning I lost 5%. Just seems higher than what others have noticed.

How do you tell from Mac address which one is Tesla? The only unknown one I see is for Espressif Inc - could they be the vendor for Tesla? The name is cryptic, not the name I gave to the car.

If you click on Wi-Fi settings on the Wi-Fi setup and then click on the little circle i on the top right, it will show you the MAC address. (Sorry pictures are a little blurry).

20180930_062938434_iOS.jpg
20180930_062945154_iOS.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and rexian
By the way, it seems my car disconnects when it goes to sleep. My router had its mac in the list of attached devices but after I restarted the router, it's gone. It's been 30 minutes since the reboot so I think the router doesn't refresh the list automatically but the car may not be actively connected.

By the way, it seems my car disconnects when it goes to sleep. My router had its mac in the list of attached devices but after I restarted the router, it's gone. It's been 30 minutes since the reboot so I think the router doesn't refresh the list automatically but the car may not be actively connected.

The car disconnects when asleep (I can see it in history with Google Wi-Fi but not active connection)

My MAC address is different but is also from LG. I figured out what was keeping it awake. I have a script that runs to collect data from the API for my X but I guess even though I’m not querying the 3 directly just doing the vehicles query was enough to keep it awake, unlike my X. Consumption back to normal now and can see the 3 connected but no activity (some power save mode or something?), whereas my X disappears completely.