Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAR REGISTRATION

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Friends,

Purchased a Model S in Springfield, NJ 30 days ago. Was issued a temporary registration which unfortunately expires today. However, I have not received my new plates yet. Tesla advises that because I had an out of state license it can take longer.

To which I said, understood; give me a 60 day temporary registration. To which Tesla states not possible.

So here we are; without plates, without a new or extended registration, temporary registration expires today.

Went to the DMV who advises that this is all within Teslas court to reoslve.

You may have to show up there and demand a resolution. Phone, email, and text are a run around.

Tesla really messed up on my registration. They were supposed to xfer org plates. They gave me new plates instead which were registered incorrectly as a vehcile less than 3700 lbs. i had to pay an extra $121 to resolve the issue. It took me almost two months after delivery to get it resolved.

Good luck.

Yes. After some yelling; they were able to overnight plates and registration.
Same thing happened to me on my first Tesla, I seem to recall I had similar drama on my second but I also changed to dual ownership which also messed up transferring my plates. I’d say this process is not a strong point for them and if you add one variable you’re in for pain.