Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car shaking and clunking when the AC is on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning my car started to make a loud clunking/knocking sound from under the frunk. You can hear it inside, outside, and can feel it inside the car and by putting your hand on the frunk outside. The AC is turning itself off and switching to fan-only mode unless I set it to manual/62F/recycle air OR if the car is in motion. As soon as I stop the air cycles off and starts to clunk. The air also smells like feet (which I realize is probably just a filter change). This all happened overnight. The only thing that has changed is that it stormed yesterday for the first time in a while (Florida). I tried resetting with the wheel button, the off button on the interface, and wheel+brake resetting but nothing has worked. I've searched around but I've only found this issue in 2019 posts (unless I missed something).

This morning my car started to make a loud clunking/knocking sound from under the frunk. You can hear it inside, outside, and can feel it inside the car and by putting your hand on the frunk outside. The AC is turning itself off and switching to fan-only mode unless I set it to manual/62F/recycle air OR if the car is in motion. As soon as I stop the air cycles off and starts to clunk. The air also smells like feet (which I realize is probably just a filter change). This all happened overnight. The only thing that has changed is that it stormed yesterday for the first time in a while (Florida). I tried resetting with the wheel button, the off button on the interface, and wheel+brake resetting but nothing has worked. I've searched around but I've only found this issue in 2019 posts (unless I missed something).
Pop the frunk and look down inside the AC air intake, passenger side (LHD) below windshield. OEM has no top screen to prevent large foreign objects from falling down there (I added aftermarket for this purpose). Something might be trapped down there, or a fan blade broke off.

Upvote 0