Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC & Heat only works well when recirculating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We first noticed this happening about a month ago, but it's become more and more of an issue. In the summer, the AC wouldn't want to blow unless we put the system into recirculation mode, where it would work flawlessly. If I took it off recirculation, it would stop blowing air, even when taken off of auto and the fan was maxed out. Despite not blowing air, there are lots of noises coming from the dash. I read in another thread about how the car might be cooling/heating the battery (Inconsistent air conditioning A/C performance with new Model Y) but I don't think that's what is going on because it happens on long trips, and not just when first starting to drive. Now, it's getting colder, and the heat is also doing the same thing. Having said this, it doesn't happen 100% of the time. But it seems to be happening more and more recently. I've already initiated a service appointment, but we live ~2.5 hours from the closest service center and so it might be a while before I can make the trek to get it repaired.

I recorded a video of the issue that I'll post below if links are allowed for new members.

Video of the issue

Something might be clogged behind the HEPA filter. Remove the cowl and check the filter and the ducting behind it that goes to the firewall. There is a plastic duct that goes from the firewall to the filter housing. There is also a screen at the firewall inlet.

How many miles? Is it possible the HEPA filter is just well-used and clogged?

Verify that leaves/debris aren't blocking it and you have a clear path from the filter all the way to the firewall inlet. Nothing should be able to get past the filter, but if the assembly was installed wrong at the factory, who knows.

(My car was built completely lacking an inlet duct for my HEPA filter and mobile service had to come out to install one, so I didn't have any filtered air at all for a few months)

Sounds like something in the dash might not be working properly then. Mobile service ticket time!
Sorry for asking what's probably a dumb question, but how do I do this? I'd love to have mobile service come here. I'm assuming that if mobile service was an option it would show automatically when I submitted my service request (I didn't). The only options I have are to select a service center ~2.5 hours away, and the earliest date is ~28 days from now.

If your area is served by mobile service, certain service tasks will allow you to schedule it as mobile. If not, you can make the appt for a service center, then message them about it and see if it can be converted to mobile service.

Depending on the nature of the repair, they may oblige. I've had to do that in the past for interior trim stuff that didn't automatically offer mobile, and they were happy to switch it over. Worth a shot.

We first noticed this happening about a month ago, but it's become more and more of an issue. In the summer, the AC wouldn't want to blow unless we put the system into recirculation mode, where it would work flawlessly. If I took it off recirculation, it would stop blowing air, even when taken off of auto and the fan was maxed out. Despite not blowing air, there are lots of noises coming from the dash. I read in another thread about how the car might be cooling/heating the battery (Inconsistent air conditioning A/C performance with new Model Y) but I don't think that's what is going on because it happens on long trips, and not just when first starting to drive. Now, it's getting colder, and the heat is also doing the same thing. Having said this, it doesn't happen 100% of the time. But it seems to be happening more and more recently. I've already initiated a service appointment, but we live ~2.5 hours from the closest service center and so it might be a while before I can make the trek to get it repaired.

I recorded a video of the issue that I'll post below if links are allowed for new members.

Video of the issue
I noticed also the this behavior on the 2023 Y. It is like the AC is not kicking in, or barely noticeable. This is most of the time when it is not in Automatic mode. I switch to Automatic and it starts working. I also noticed each time I pull up the ventilation window, the recirculate is ON (blue), seems like resetting each trip back to ON. Kind of annoying, some fresh air always better.
But I was thinking, could be AC beta software :) or a "feature" rather than a filter.

So I think it's time for me to eat crow here. About a week ago I popped off the plastic cover, and then used my t20 to remove the 10x screws covering up the hepa filter, and removed the filter. Or so I thought. At the time, I didn't realize there were 2 filters stacked on top of each other. I only removed the top filter and not the bottom filter. didn't realize this until I ordered new filters (because car is almost 2 years old now) and watched the installation video that realized I didn't actually remove all the filters. As soon as I took off the inner filter (that's really stuck in there!) and replaced it all the issues seem to have gone away. This was only done last night, but my wife said it's been working perfectly all day today. I'm going to wait a week and if it's still working well I'll cancel my service appointment that's scheduled the week of Thanksgiving.

Is the problem still there or was it fixed? Also was that 2nd filter noticeably bad? Having the exact same issue here this morning (first cold winter morning of the year). Will check the air filters later tonight.

Fixed. I canceled my service appointment just this morning. I wanted the wife to drive it around for a week or so before deciding it was totally fixed. FWIW we had 25k miles on the car, have had it since December 2021, and park outside all of the time. The second filter wasn't noticeably bad, no. The top one had a ton of pollen and dust in it. The most noticeable difference was how much heavier the old filters were than the new ones.