Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car towed to service last night, wouldn't reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I've got a MR RWD M3 that I took delivery of on 3/23/19. Lots to love about the car despite its (and Tesla's) quirks. Last night I was arriving home from work and I had to load some gear in the car and head to another engagement. So I canceled the auto garage door opener and parallel parked in our cul de sac. I needed to back up a bit to ideally position the car, so I shifted into reverse. The rear camera came up and the display indicated I was in R. But when I hit the accelerator, the car continued forward. I toggled back to drive, then reverse, and the car still moved forward. Tried exiting the car, getting back in, same result and at this point I only had about 2" between my car and my neighbor's. Neighbor wasn't home, so I couldn't get them to pull up to free me. I asked my wife to help me by getting in the car an putting in in neutral so I could push it back a bit. The car was on a bit of a downward incline, so my wife suggested we just call Tesla instead.

I was in a rush so I began preparing to go in our other car while she called Tesla. She handed a rep off to me who suggested power cycling the car (not just the display). I hadn't done this before, so she walked me through the process via safety & security. When I confirmed the shutdown, the screen went black but the a/c kept running. She said it sounded like the car wasn't powering down properly so she wanted to transfer me to tech support, who can apparently run some remote diagnostics on the car. I handed my wife's phone back to her and left. I assumed that this was just another "quirk" that would resolve itself but I was a more concerned about this than, say, the windows not properly closing after I swipe out of the parking lot when I'm leaving work. The worst case scenario with a car that goes forward when it appears to be in reverse is...pretty bad, after all.

A couple of hours later, still away from home, Tesla called me to authorize a tow. When I got home, my wife told me that the car had started working properly again by the time the tow arrived, but they took it anyway. Then I got a call from the service center requesting more detail from me: they seemed a bit confused to have received a car that had no apparent malfunction. I called back and was routed to a full voice mail box. The I got an app alert (or six of them) that the car is ready to pick up during business hours. It just so happens that I had an appointment for this afternoon to get the steering wheel cap replaced--it had a nick on it when I took delivery. I got a call earlier today about the appointment and the guy who called had no idea that the car was already at their facility, so I told them to go find it and complete that repair. Still waiting for confirmation on that.

Just curious if anyone has any similar experiences (with the car going forward in reverse) or insights that might be helpful; thanks in advance!

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Not the same experience, but in general, being highly dependent on software, I would apply the lesson of hard-rebooting and leaving it off for a while, before resorting to an inconvenient tow (unless safety is an immediate concern). Very often these quirks fix themselves. When in doubt, power out.

In fairness to Tesla on this I’ve had decades of instances taking a car to a mechanic and they can’t re-create the problem. Only difference is those issues were more mechanical quirks than software.

Reactions: Bleu
Not the same experience, but in general, being highly dependent on software, I would apply the lesson of hard-rebooting and leaving it off for a while, before resorting to an inconvenient tow (unless safety is an immediate concern). Very often these quirks fix themselves. When in doubt, power out.

In fairness to Tesla on this I’ve had decades of instances taking a car to a mechanic and they can’t re-create the problem. Only difference is those issues were more mechanical quirks than software.

If I'd been present I'd probably have prevented the tow from happening, or at least made sure that mission control knew the issue was resolved but still wanted to run some tests or reset operations. If they just said, "can't replicate problem, take your car back," then I don't really understand why they towed in the first place. Communications and coordination seem a bit chaotic. When my wife told me they were towing I assumed they wanted to review event logs or something out of an abundance of caution. In the end, if that steering wheel cap is replaced, it was a relatively opportune time for this to happen. I will have them walk me through the reboot process so I know what it looks like when it's working properly; I'd hitherto only rebooted the display, which has crashed several times. Given that the car seemed not to be shutting off properly when I was having the problem last night it seems likely that numerous functions had stalled out, including changing gears and powering down. I get the general sense that some of the car's quirks are related to bluetooth connections or convenience functions: the screen crashed after I set up DashCam and as mentioned, the 'stuck in D' problem occurred right after I canceled the automatic garage door opener.

At least it’s good to know that a full shut down and then leaving it for a few minutes worked. Today my Tesla Phone App stopped communicating with the car, soft reboot fixed the problem, I also deleted and reinstalled the App.

Fred