Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wouldn't start but 2 hours later it would

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove my 2020 S LR on Wed. and all was well - no 12V battery or other warnings. Went to take my wife out to dinner this evening and the car would not activate. The door handles presented, the frunk and truck worked, brake lights, etc., but the dash and console remained inert. Changed the fob battery, no effect. Tried a steering wheel button reset, but nothing happened. Came back after dinner (drove my wife's MB) and Tesla still would not activate. Popped the frunk and was about to search for the 12V jumper posts and, without having done anything, the car activated. Drove it a few blocks and all seems fine. Should I consider taking it in for service or just assume is was some sort of fluke?

I previously had a 2014 S and I recall one time the same thing happened to that car, but it was at my office and they sent mobile service out and the guy, I think, just reset the car. I'm pretty sure they didn't replace anything - the guy was only with the car for 15 minutes.

There were no notifications on the service page. Thanks for the links to the reset procedures but most of those, other than the button reset, require going into the screen setting, which is impossible if the screens are off.

The car started a few hours later while I was looking for the terminals to charge the 12V battery, but I hadn't done anything and I wasn't in the cabin- it just decided to start. There are no battery warnings, notifications or any evidence that it had a problem, but it definitely would not energize/start/activate for 3 or 4 hours. I can't explain it and there is no evidence it happened.