Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon fiber spoiler loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did your car come with the spoiler installed from factory?

This is a very common issue for P3D owners who had their spoilers installed after delivery. I got my spoiler installed around April. It stayed on for a good 1.5 to 2 months before it started lifting on one side. I'm on my second spoiler now and it already started lifting a week after installation. I'm going to have to bring it in again.

I installed an aftermarket spoiler like this on my wife's Miata a few years ago. It fell off at some point and I had to reinstall it. She crashed the car a few months later so I didn't have to reinstall again. But I suspect it would have needed it eventually.

We get extremes temps here. Highs >100F and lowes <10F. That 3M tape just doesn't seem to be able to handle those types of temperature fluctuations.

I just received my spoiler from RPM TESLA and am waiting to install it. The install video explains the 3M adhesive needs 72 hours to fully stick with maximum strength. You are also expected to tape the ends down to help it stick during that time. I’m going to also leave it garaged for the 3 days to make sure it sticks well. I would presume doing the same for the stock spoiler would be a good idea. Does the SC tape down anyone’s spoiler after install? Just curious

• Helpful
Reactions: Halloween81
I bought an OEM spoiler off eBay, to use as a handle to close my trunk, since I feared I’d eventually scratch the paint on the back of the trunk. I installed it myself and it seems to be sticking well. I can’t imagine it ever coming off. I’m baffled as to what these mobile rangers and SC techs are doing that there are so many problems. Do they heat the 3M tape before installing? That can make a huge difference.

I believe they do

Reactions: KenC