Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cat Stuck in Rear Bumper of Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After coming from work I heard a sound of meows from a kitten in my Tesla. I went to check under the car, the trunk, the rear seats, I literally checked everywhere. It seems that it somehow is stuck inside the rear bumper of the car (because it sounded the loudest there). However there is no access to get the car out (other than disassembling the car. I’m very far away from a Tesla service center, what should I do?

Link to videos on Google Drive:

Depending on the age of your Model 3, there should be a removable panel under the car near the center of the bumper. It is there for accessing an installed trailer hitch receiver. You might try opening that. It has two 1/4 turn plastic screws.
If that doesn't work and you actually need to remove the rear bumper, you can do so with a few basic tools. Look up the instructions for installing an after-market trailer hitch on the Model 3 and you'll find step-by-step videos that show how to remove the bumper.

Upvote 0
If that doesn't work and you actually need to remove the rear bumper, you can do so with a few basic tools. Look up the instructions for installing an after-market trailer hitch on the Model 3 and you'll find step-by-step videos that show how to remove the bumper.
Do you think it’s easier to remove the bumper or the removable panel?
Also could I get access to that part from removing a tire?
how did it even get inside in the first place?

Upvote 0
It's much easier to just try removing the panel. You can to it with a flat head screwdriver and only need to turn two plastic screws 1/4 or 1/2 turn. Again, look for a video showing how to install a tow hitch and you'll see how to open that access panel and also how to take the whole back bumper off if it comes to that.

Opening the panel isn't a big deal. It will only take you a few seconds.

Upvote 0