Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

creaking noise from LR wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Hi. Does anyone's car make a creaking noise when they start of stop or start off. I get a creaking noise coming from the left rear wheel about 80% of the time when I start off or slow down.

Here is the folder with the files showing the noise. You might have to turn the sound up.

Had something similar on my 21 LR, I have cleaned and lubricated all of the rear bushes and the creakig has stopped, I have changed the lower front arms as I had all manner of squeaks, creaks and groans coming from the front of mine, only noticed the rear when the front had stopped the cacophony of noise,

Reactions: jboy210
I took the car in today about this issue. They seemed to have fixed it by "lubing all 4 half-shafts". I associate the half shaft issues with the chirp noise under acceleration, not a light ticking noise pulling up to a stop or starting. Anyway, no noise on the way home.

BTW, I surprised there is a $280 charge for investigating noise issues. I complained a bit and they set the bill to $0. But I assume the next one is on me.

Had something similar on my 21 LR, I have cleaned and lubricated all of the rear bushes and the creakig has stopped, I have changed the lower front arms as I had all manner of squeaks, creaks and groans coming from the front of mine, only noticed the rear when the front had stopped the cacophony of noise,
What did you lubricate the bushing with?

OB41 Penetrating Oil Spray.

Worked fine for a few days, and then low speed - sub 10mph creaking started again, seems to disappear when it rains, so I'm assuming that there is some wear or damage to one of the 10 bushes on each side. Will get my MOT tester to try and pinpoint which one (or more) is making the noise and see what replacing entails, I'm a bit loath to mess about with the back end as none of the wheel alignment places here will adjust the rear

Hi. Does anyone's car make a creaking noise when they start of stop or start off. I get a creaking noise coming from the left rear wheel about 80% of the time when I start off or slow down.

Here is the folder with the files showing the noise. You might have to turn the sound up.
Man I have the exact same noise on my 2022 model X and just had the front halfshafts replaced last week. Even though the noise is coming from the rear. They didn’t replace any parts?

I took the car in today about this issue. They seemed to have fixed it by "lubing all 4 half-shafts". I associate the half shaft issues with the chirp noise under acceleration, not a light ticking noise pulling up to a stop or starting. Anyway, no noise on the way home.

BTW, I surprised there is a $280 charge for investigating noise issues. I complained a bit and they set the bill to $0. But I assume the next one is on me.
This should be under warranty no?

This should be under warranty no?
During the 1st year they usual fix it for free. But after that squeaks and rattle are usually fixed as goodwill items. I have similar experience with BMW and Lexus when something rattled, or a vibration developed in the second or beyond years of ownership. Actually, BMW was like "those are hard to track down..... We might need your car for a few days ... Maybe we can schedule for next month when we are not so backed up ...".

Somewhere I have a picture of me troubleshooting the problem on the BMW 3 with my wife driving down the road with me having my head in the passenger wheel well and my feet draped over the passenger seat. After a few minutes of me putting my hand up under the ducting I found the screw that was lose above the glove box. Same crap I used to do at the family car service shop.

Last edited: