Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution Messages After Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve now washed my 2023 Model S in a tunnel type car wash twice and am a little spooked. Both times, I got a caution light as I got into the car to drive away. First time, “Steering Assist Reduced”. Second time, “Vehicle Hold feature unavailable”. Doesn’t seem that caution messages after a wash can be normal.

When I arrived at the car wash, I put the car in Car Wash Mode, put my KeyCard in the tray, and turned the car over to the attendant. They drive it onto the conveyer, so I can’t be certain they put it in neutral but probably. When the car was ready I got in and noticed the warning. I put the KeyCard away, my phone in the tray, and reset the user profile to mine. The messages were still there but I drove away hoping they would clear. They didn’t so I pulled into another parking lot, parked, got out walked away until it locked. Then walked back, got in and the car was back to normal.

The car wash itself is very professional and there are hundreds of Teslas in our town so it’s highly unlikely they’re unfamiliar with the car.

Am I doing something wrong, or ??? Any thoughts appreciated.

2023 Model S or 3? because posting in Model 3 forum but quoting Model S.

Carwash staff must be turning carwash mode off, driving up, engaging the conveyor and turning car wash mode back on. This should work but something is off since you are getting those warnings/errors.

Upvote 0
My Model 3 LR AWD is having the same exact problem. It has happened since Tesla Vision was released (I'm on Beta). It also seems to happen switching into reverse, and is accompanied by a THUNK in the steering wheel.

I have found if when I switch to reverse if I don't touch the wheel and move just a foot or so it doesn't seem to happen. It's when I rapidly switch gears and try to move the wheel that it happens. I also notice heavy stuttering on the rearview camera. I did have the recall for the rear camera cable serviced a few months ago, just before my car went out of warranty.

Is the common thread on this the Beta software?

BTW I contacted Tesla service and they wanted $2770 to replace the steering rack.

Oh, BTW, shift into park, go to Safety and down at the bottom Power Off. Let it sit for 10-20 seconds and then tap the brake. Errors cleared.

Upvote 0