Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85D Cannot Live Through One Touchless Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What the heck am I doing wrong? I bought a 2015 P85D a few weeks ago and can't seem to keep myself from breaking it. I did start another thread regarding this issue broadly, but now I have it narrowed down to the car wash. After taking it through a touchless car wash for the second time, the car is undrivable, although I can control some things with the app. I cannot get into the car, but I am able to charge it. I can control the climate control, but I can't open either trunk. The headlights are stuck on, which I'm sure my neighbors enjoy. As a matter of fact, during the day, only the headlights are on. At dusk, the auto headlights turn on, which includes the fog lights and the tail lights, until dawn, when everything shuts off except the headlights.. I'm stumped! Any suggestions, other than not taking it through the car wash anymore?

I do have an appointment at the service center for the 5th, which I will be keeping regardless of whether or not they can fix the issue with an OTA update again.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I bought a 2015 P85D a few weeks ago and can't seem to keep myself from breaking it. I did start another thread regarding this issue broadly, but now I have it narrowed down to the car wash. After taking it through a touchless car wash for the second time, the car is undrivable, although I can control some things with the app. I cannot get into the car, but I am able to charge it. I can control the climate control, but I can't open either trunk. The headlights are stuck on, which I'm sure my neighbors enjoy. As a matter of fact, during the day, only the headlights are on. At dusk, the auto headlights turn on, which includes the fog lights and the tail lights, until dawn, when everything shuts off except the headlights.. I'm stumped! Any suggestions, other than not taking it through the car wash anymore?

I do have an appointment at the service center for the 5th, which I will be keeping regardless of whether or not they can fix the issue with an OTA update again.
First, on any weird problems, I always recommend rebooting (press both scroll wheels until the screen goes black). Still, this sounds like a hardware issue.

It doesn't sound like the HV battery, but perhaps a faulty 12v ground or somewhere the water is penetrating where it shouldn't.

In some of the older cars, a 12v ground stud corrorids and either breaks off or makes an intermittent connection when wet. This is not going to be fixed with software. The stud problem is more prevalent where the car is constantly exposed to salt (i.e. salted roads in winter), which is deadly over time to most cars, not just Tesla.

I'd also check the fuse box to be sure the cover is secured and kept watertight. A missing cover (where water gets in) could also cause havoc. Let us know what the service finds out.

Upvote 0