Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode causing GPS and cameras to be disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't found any threads with this exact issue, so wanted to share. Purchased a new MYP earlier this year. Through the summer, went through local automatic car washes with no issues by just putting the vehicle into neutral. By accident, I recently discovered there is a "Car Wash Mode", so decided to try it out last week. Afterwards, noticed cameras did not work (screen was black), and GPS was frozen on the screen. Tried resetting computer several times pushing in the controls on the steering wheel, but did not fix the issue. Tesla came out and basically had to connect the batteries to get the cameras and GPS working. Later that day, went through car wash and again used Car Wash Mode. Again, camera and GPS issues returned. Did more research on these forums and discovered the reset "trick" of changing wheel size in settings. This returned GPS and camera capability. Decided to go through car wash again, this time manually putting the car into neutral instead of using Car Wash Mode, and have had no issues since. Just thought I would share if someone else is dealing with this. Guessing this is a software issue. Waiting to hear back from Tesla regarding their recent service visit to update them.

I use car wash mode probably once a week, Never had a problem with cameras GPS, or anything else associated with the use of car wash mode.
Could it be that something is not sealed properly and got wet?

Last edited:
I use car wash mode probably once a week, Never had a problem with cameras GPS, or anything else associated with the use of car wash mode.
Could it be that something is not sealed properly and got wet?
Wondered that, but you would think whatever got wet in Car Wash Mode would get wet when going through without it. Certainly feels like a software issue since a quick wheel size reset returns full functionality.

• Informative
Reactions: 804son
Well, went through same location as yesterday. This time decided to use Car Wash Mode. Went fine, then about a minute later GPS froze and cameras stopped working once again. Tried the tire size change reset that seemed to work last time, but no luck. Made a new service appointment.

Reactions: 804son
Found this thread with owners having similar issues that have a toll pass on their windshield. Could this be related to the RFID label that the car wash (Mister) mounts on the windshield?

Still happening? Just got a model y 30th december 2023. Hope this dfoes not happen to me..
Yep. They replaced the computer for the second time. They did that the first time the issues started in October. Happened several times in between and they restored capability with resets/updates. This time they claimed there was corrosion found on the computer. Wild.