Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAV decal: colors, choice and strategy for HOV lane usage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a little confused by the different color decals and choices related to Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) decals and High Occupancy Vehicle(HOV) lane usage. I mean there seems to be a red, white and a green, and I have heard talk of a purple starting next year... For a new model 3 owner living in the bay area (Santa Cruz) what is the best choice or strategy with regard to CAV decal color and choice, etc? Thanks.

You don't really have a choice. If you apply right now, you may still get the red decal if they process the application fast enough. If you wait until January, you will get the light purple decal, which will last one year longer than the red one. For that reason the purple is preferable unless you absolutely hate the color. Personally I'm waiting for January to get the additional year, and because I dislike the bright red decals more than the light purple one.

aZgUdKa.jpg

Reactions: TEG
Well, there is always a chance of political changes, but based on current state law there is no risk in waiting. If you waited until 2020 you would actually get a sticker with yet another color that will last a year longer than the purple one.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Form to complete and mail in with check: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

The forms take a little while to be processed, the checks cashed. You can get cited if you are using the HOV lanes as a single occupant if you don't have valid stickers on your car. I'm not even sure if you applied now if you'd receive a red sticker to use in December. For me it makes more sense to wait until very late December to mail in so that it gets processed in 2019 buying you another year of use (as long as they don't pull the program for single occupancy drivers in the HOV lanes. In which case you'll need to find a partner in your car to use the lanes).

BTW @greentee in this thread, #108 ( To get Carpool Sticker now or wait until 2019 ), posted his application got rejected because he signed it in Acrobat, whereas they wanted a physical signature. The poster in #107 said he "heard" that they were holding all forms now and processing in 2019 but that's just hearsay so who knows. It would make a huge amount of sense though especially if the sticker won't reach you in December for 2018 use. I know I wouldn't be too happy hoping to use it in December 2018 and then not receiving a red one until 2019 in the mail and losing a year's potential use. Kind of like when we sent in our PG&E rebate for $500 and then heard within a few weeks of applying (and getting our check) that they raised the amount to $800. :mad:

Last edited:
The poster in #107 said he "heard" that they were holding all forms now and processing in 2019 but that's just hearsay so who knows. It would make a huge amount of sense though especially if the sticker won't reach you in December for 2018 use. I wouldn't be too happy hoping to use in 2018 and then receiving until 2019 and losing a year's use. Kind of like when we sent in our PG&E rebate for $500 and then heard within a few weeks of applying (and getting our check) that they raised the amount to $800. :mad:

I felt DMV was quick enough in giving me red stickers when I applied for replacing my white stickers.

You can lose 1-2 weeks more by submitting in 2019 but guaranteeing a purple sticker.

versus

Submitting for a sticker in late 2018 and run a small chance of a Red sticker being processed and losing out an entirely year.

Unless someone is getting a Purple sticker before the end of this year, I'm not playing with fire.

Some people in that thread you mentioned incredulously assumed the sticker was going to stay Red and thought they would get an extra 6 months of use applying in June and what not.

I’m waiting till last week of DEC,
I’ll date my application & check
1 JAN 2019! that should insure
purple stickers...

I don’t commute, will apply stickers
to magnetic strips from amazon,
cut them to size, attach before
HOV lane use.

I felt DMV was quick enough in giving me red stickers when I applied for replacing my white stickers.

You can lose 1-2 weeks more by submitting in 2019 but guaranteeing a purple sticker.

versus

Submitting for a sticker in late 2018 and run a small chance of a Red sticker being processed and losing out an entirely year.

Unless someone is getting a Purple sticker before the end of this year, I'm not playing with fire.

Some people in that thread you mentioned incredulously assumed the sticker was going to stay Red and thought they would get an extra 6 months of use applying in June and what not.

I wouldn't risk submitting early - there might be different form, etc... The website says Applications Not Yet Available:

NEW STICKER PROGRAM - APPLICATIONS NOT YET AVAILABLE

Qualifying vehicles that were not issued a green, white, or red decal prior to January 1, 2019, will be eligible for a new Clean Air Vehicle decal starting in January 2019. These decals will expire January 1, 2023. Information regarding the color, application date, and application process are not yet available.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

Cheers.

Have any of you received purple decals yet? I submitted application 12/22 and check hasn't even been cashed yet so trying to gauge turnaround.

several have received purple on the other thread,
most related mailing in forms circa 1st week of DEC,
saying check was cashed ~20 days after mailing,
purple stickers received ~30 days total...

Yesterday, I received my “The horror. The horror...” purple/lilac stickers.
I have a red car.
And now, I am almost considering trading them with someone that has unused red ones. Wonder how much trouble that could cause if I ever get stopped by the fuzz.