Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS versus CHAdeMO in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It clearly refers to adapter support. European vehicles can L2 charge using 3 phase power, but it has nothing to do with DCFC (other than the input typically being 3 phase AC before being converted to DC).

Attachments

• ccs-adapter.jpg
    ccs-adapter.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 83
Isn't the issue with the not getting full power because the SETEC adapter is actually mimicking the Chademo protocol that was limited to 50 kW?
Yes, that is my understanding.

And I take your point; with the SETEC adaptor the car is not using the CCS standard, the adaptor tricks the car into thinking it is connected to a CHAdeMO charger.

Extending that line of reasoning; if Tesla does decide to sell a CCS adaptor in North America that does not necessarily mean that all Teslas in that region will suddenly be able to use CCS chargers. Will they need a firmware or hardware update to do so? I don’t know.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I hope whatever Tesla sells can do more than 50KW. I would upgrade my CHAdeMO adaptor to a CCS one right away if it does. In the mean time, I haven’t seen a DCFC that doesn’t have CHAdeMO on it so I’ll keep my adaptor for now.
Hey, i am planning to make a trip to east cost from Toronto/GTA. would you be up to allow me to borrow or rent the adapter for about 10 days starting 25th Aug 2022? That would be super helpful.