Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating DIY (Avalon King)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 years ago paid $1k+ for Ceramic coating for M3- but not this time for MY. I used a coupon and it's cheap $41.99 with love labor or sweat equity.
Pictures: done in the garage & sun bathing (curing)

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    571.4 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 344
Avalon King on my Y as well. 2 days of wet sanding overspray from the body shop and clay bar, light polishing and swirl removing. Tons of work but worth it. Plus the cloth you get with it is the best polish cloth I have now.

How do you know if your ceramic coating is done/due for replacement? I got one professionally done that should last a few years, but when it's done I will likely be more interested in DIY....
"How long does the coating last?
The coating lasts 2-5 years depending on how well you prepare the car before the application, how well the coating is applied and the aftercare of the coating."
I guess you will notice it needs to get done again when the dirt sticks on and the water doesn't bead and run like when it used to.

Well, I finally applied the Avalon King ceramic coating and it was certainly a good deal of work. Thorough wash and dry, followed by claybar and then IPA and then finally the ceramic. I have to say that it was very difficult to see what I was doing on my white MY. Even with a flashlight, I couldn't see when it flashed and ready to be buffed. Also, I would guess that the darker the car, the more satisfying the final result. You just don't get that WOW factor with the white car as you likely do with the other colors. In any case, I am glad that I did it and washing the car in the coming months should be much easier and it's good to know the paint is protected.