Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Exterior Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did my car today myself. I simply used Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray (the green bottle). I’ll apply a second coat tomorrow for 12 months protection that they claim. I also purchased their other ceramic line products such as wet wax and detailer. That’s good enough for me and all under $100 bucks and 4 hours of my time.

I just did my car today myself. I simply used Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray (the green bottle). I’ll apply a second coat tomorrow for 12 months protection that they claim. I also purchased their other ceramic line products such as wet wax and detailer. That’s good enough for me and all under $100 bucks and 4 hours of my time.
Can you post some pics? I am leaning toward the DIY route myself as I used to work as a detailer and know my way around a random-orbit and multi-step polish/wax process.

Great to hear! I've considered going to a professional shop once I become a Tesla owner, but based on what I'm hearing from people doing their own coatings I'll probably do the same to save $$.

Reactions: techlogik
Great to hear! I've considered going to a professional shop once I become a Tesla owner, but based on what I'm hearing from people doing their own coatings I'll probably do the same to save $$.

Just a friendly tip, there is a big difference between a ceramic coating and a ceramic spray sealant. Ceramic coatings contain a much higher concentration of SiO2 than ceramic sealants. Actual coatings are much more durable and longer lasting than ceramic spray sealants. But because they are so much more durable, they are not very forgiving if you make a mistake. For example, if you leave the coating solution on too long or if you miss some high spots that you don't buff off, the only way to correct the error is to remove the coating with a DA polisher and start over.

Ceramic-infused sealants, such as the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray mentioned above, contain much lower concentrations of SiO2 and are much more forgiving compared to coatings. If you apply too much or if you don't remove it at the right time, it is no problem. But they are not nearly as durable as actual coatings.

There are consumer-grade DIY coatings. But the most durable and longest lasting coatings can only be installed by professionals who have the appropriate training and experience.

Reactions: techlogik
Just a friendly tip, there is a big difference between a ceramic coating and a ceramic spray sealant. Ceramic coatings contain a much higher concentration of SiO2 than ceramic sealants. Actual coatings are much more durable and longer lasting than ceramic spray sealants. But because they are so much more durable, they are not very forgiving if you make a mistake. For example, if you leave the coating solution on too long or if you miss some high spots that you don't buff off, the only way to correct the error is to remove the coating with a DA polisher and start over.

Ceramic-infused sealants, such as the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray mentioned above, contain much lower concentrations of SiO2 and are much more forgiving compared to coatings. If you apply too much or if you don't remove it at the right time, it is no problem. But they are not nearly as durable as actual coatings.

There are consumer-grade DIY coatings. But the most durable and longest lasting coatings can only be installed by professionals who have the appropriate training and experience.
Thanks for the info!

I used the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic spray on my Model 3 with a thorough clean, clay bar, and ipa wipe down. I did this at ~11k miles and did not paint correct or polish because I just didn't care to do it but thought still looked pretty great after applying. Just a note that even with 2 coats, the coating only really lasted ~6 months.

I may do a real DIY ceramic coating, like CQuartz UK, on the new MY since the paint will be in better condition and it should last longer.

IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ss71
Question should a new car have its paint corrected?
It use to be known that there was some sort of rail dust on each and every new car for at one point or another a vehicle was shipped on a rail car. May not be the case with a Tesla. Any new car at best needs to be prepped or examined to ensure it's ready for ceramic to be locked in.

Can you post some pics? I am leaning toward the DIY route myself as I used to work as a detailer and know my way around a random-orbit and multi-step polish/wax process.
I would love to share the images but when I upload, it says the image is too large to handle by the server. LOL.
If you were a detailer, I'd say 100% hands DYI. As I said earlier, you can always go the easy way like I did and it does the job pretty well. I initially for the first time did on my 2020 SE Toyota Corrolla and had no issues doing it all over again.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I used the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic spray on my Model 3 with a thorough clean, clay bar, and ipa wipe down. I did this at ~11k miles and did not paint correct or polish because I just didn't care to do it but thought still looked pretty great after applying. Just a note that even with 2 coats, the coating only really lasted ~6 months.

I may do a real DIY ceramic coating, like CQuartz UK, on the new MY since the paint will be in better condition and it should last longer.

View attachment 710182View attachment 710183View attachment 710184
I did on my 2020 Corolla at 15k miles. I used their Polish first and then the ceramic spray. Since this is a new car, I just washed it with ONR and then did the ceramic spray. You're right, I don't expect them to last 12 months even with 2 coats. But I do have their Ceramic Wet Wax Spray and Ceramic Quick Detailer as well. I'll keep using the wet wax spray every now and then after I give it a bath. This way, it keeps topping up on the initial ceramic spray I did (hopefully). I do not see the point in spending huge amounts at professional detailer since it's just a car and it will eventually get beat up and depreciate in the next 5 years or so. Most importantly, if you sell, I do not think all the additional money you've spent is considered or added against the offer for the car.

Agreed. Hence, I plan to redo the entire process in 6 months or so and in the meanwhile, aim for a weekly Turtlewax Ceramic Wet Wax session after every wash to the car. This way, it at least maintains the shiny look and so-called protects the paint from fading etc.