Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Adapter [Discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nissan spent $600m on Chademo, I don't think it will be disappearing.

It’s not that I think it will disappear, but remain less common than CCS as new models choose that over CHAdeMO. And given the size and price difference between adapters, I think I’ll wait awhile and see. ‍♂️

But I’m sure CHAdeMO will be around as long as these cars are. The Nissan leaf essentially guarantees that.

Nissan spent $600m on Chademo, I don't think it will be disappearing.

Just my perspective. The majority of EV’s in BC are CHADEMO. Mostly because the majority of EV’s sold in BC are Tesla’s and Nissan Leafs. And yes Tesla’s have other charge options...namely Superchargers. But provincial CHADEMO/CCS sites easily out number Tesla Supercharger sites 10 to 1 right now...and are growing much faster than Supercharger sites. Chademo sites won’t dissapear anytime in the future here.unless they want to exclude the majority of EV’s from fast charge access. Now if Tesla switches over to CCS from Chademo compatibility then all bets are off.

Jmho.

The bane of my existence is being charged by the minute, haha. Here in BC the law states you cannot charge by the kWh so paying for supercharging you get a different bill every time, sometimes drastically. After around 70% it's extremely expensive to charge, but I also have an SR+, so I need every % I can get on those longer trips.
If you compare the rear penetration Canadians endure with that of Americans, I'm sure you'd feel fortunate, chin up!

Will this adapter work with the model 3 as well? It says only X and S in the description but I read online that it will work with the 3 as well? Anyone have any prior experience?

The CHAdeMO adapter initially did not work with the Model 3 until a software update was released. I'll have to dig out which one it was but I believe it was sometime in early 2019. It's been working fine since then with my 3. I use it more than Supercharging, typically at my local ChargePoint station and when traveling (recent trip to Brookings, OR there was a free CHAdeMO station at a large supermarket in town).

Note that you will only get a maximum of 50kW charge rate out of this adapter.