Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this email from Tesla yesterday

公共の急速充電設備を利用する際に使用するCHAdeMOアダプターに関して、一部の機種にて発生する充電器からの出力制御機能(ダイナミックコントロール)に対応するアップデートプログラムを開始しました。このアップデートにより、CHAdeMOアダプター設計上の出力(最大50kW)での充電が可能になります。

What I don't understand is, I have always been able to push up to 50kW with my current adapter.

It feels like some essential context is being left out, but I'm not sure what it is. Is there a particular circumstance where 50kW charging is not working? Anybody know?

Reactions: hiroshiy
@NamaDenki CHAdeMO introduced a protocol called Dynamic Control that allows chargers to change the maximum current of the charging session during the session. It wasn't possible before.
The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter didn't support this. The charger manufacturers stupidly implemented their Dynamic Control that if the car doesn't support the protocol, it degrades the max charging to 50A = 20kW.

Here's a good article in Japanese.

What I don't understand is, I have always been able to push up to 50kW with my current adapter.

It feels like some essential context is being left out, but I'm not sure what it is. Is there a particular circumstance where 50kW charging is not working? Anybody know?

Thanks as always Hiroshi.

Ah, I see. So chargers that are updated to firmware that support this Dynamic Control feature will default to 50A for cars (adapters) that do not respond correctly to this new protocol?

I'm guessing there must've been an old EV model somewhere that they didn't want to send too much amperage to.

Thankfully, the one place I have been using CHAdeMO has finally gotten a Tesla charger nearby very recently, so no need for me to rush on updating my CHAdeMO adapter.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Thanks as always Hiroshi.

Ah, I see. So chargers that are updated to firmware that support this Dynamic Control feature will default to 50A for cars (adapters) that do not respond correctly to this new protocol?

I'm guessing there must've been an old EV model somewhere that they didn't want to send too much amperage to.

Thankfully, the one place I have been using CHAdeMO has finally gotten a Tesla charger nearby very recently, so no need for me to rush on updating my CHAdeMO adapter.
Yes, your understanding is correct. Hmm, I think it's the charger manufacturers' oversight that it could default to 50A. Also, if you are charging already and if somebody with higher max amperage arrives and starts charging, your amperage will get dropped if you have Dynamic Control :) They don't understand how the electric vehicle works.

Reactions: NamaDenki

Lucky you. I’ve never had more than 37kW from my adapter. 🤷🏼 I got the update last month.