Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Missing From Tesla-Japan Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CHAdeMO adapter in Europe only applies to S & X vehicles and those cars can now use a Tesla provided CCS adapter which provides much higher charging speed. There is really very little good reason to buy the CHAdeMO adapter now unless you have a very specific situation like a station where you frequently travel that has abnormally cheap or free charging, yet doesn't have a CCS connector.

The CHAdeMO adapter in Europe only applies to S & X vehicles and those cars can now use a Tesla provided CCS adapter which provides much higher charging speed. There is really very little good reason to buy the CHAdeMO adapter now unless you have a very specific situation like a station where you frequently travel that has abnormally cheap or free charging, yet doesn't have a CCS connector.

Yes, that is right. CCS2 (in Europe and Oceania) is faster/better. Just like CCS1 will be better in North America (when Tesla releases its CCS1 adapter here.)

However, I will say that there arguably is a good reason to buy a CHAdeMO adapter for those people (and there are some) who have a car from one charging region in another region. (Maybe they are on vacation, or have moved there, or bought a used car there?)

For example, in New Zealand (with its Type 2/CCS2 charging standard--like in Europe) many of the used cars there are actually from Japan. Used Japanese Tesla cars there have the TPC charging port. It is difficult/expensive to use Superchargers there with a TPC car. So finding a TPC CHAdeMO adapter (from Japan, South Korea, or North America) will at least allow the person to charge with the (albeit slower) CHAdeMO DC stations in New Zealand. Otherwise the person with a TPC car there has to buy an expensive, some say dangerous(?), aftermarket Type 2-to-TPC adapter or have the car converted to a Type 2 or CCS2 charge port (expensive).

If only we all used the same charging standard! But that is not the world we live in.

Yes, that is right. CCS2 (in Europe and Oceania) is faster/better. Just like CCS1 will be better in North America (when Tesla releases its CCS1 adapter here.)

However, I will say that there arguably is a good reason to buy a CHAdeMO adapter for those people (and there are some) who have a car from one charging region in another region. (Maybe they are on vacation, or have moved there, or bought a used car there?)

For example, in New Zealand (with its Type 2/CCS2 charging standard--like in Europe) many of the used cars there are actually from Japan. Used Japanese Tesla cars there have the TPC charging port. It is difficult/expensive to use Superchargers there with a TPC car. So finding a TPC CHAdeMO adapter (from Japan, South Korea, or North America) will at least allow the person to charge with the (albeit slower) CHAdeMO DC stations in New Zealand. Otherwise the person with a TPC car there has to buy an expensive, some say dangerous(?), aftermarket Type 2-to-TPC adapter or have the car converted to a Type 2 or CCS2 charge port (expensive).

If only we all used the same charging standard! But that is not the world we live in.
You are making a case for a TPC Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. My point that the Type-2 Tesla CHAdeMO adapter has little utility today still stands. Well, unless you're taking a Model S from Hong Kong (Type-2 inlet) to Japan.

...My point that the Type-2 Tesla CHAdeMO adapter has little utility today still stands...

Right. I understand your point better, now. Same thing for North America once the CCS1 adapter is released. Knowledgeable TMC folks say the need for CHAdeMO will drop to close to zero (as will the asking prices for the adapters).

My point was that anyone taking a Tesla from one charging region to another (say Japan to Australia, Canda to France, or Hong Kong to the USA, or vice versa) can possibly benefit from bringing a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with them, since Supercharging and CCS charging may be difficult/dangerous/expensive, whereas a CHAdeMO adapter matched to the car's charging port may work anywhere (albeit more slowly than SC or CCS).

So the CHAdeMO adapters (either kind: TPC or Type 2) are interesting because afaik they can be used at any CHAdeMO charging station in the world. You just have to have the right plug version for your Tesla car. That is not true for CCS1 (North America only?) and CCS2 (Europe, Oceania, and elsewhere). Fortunately, the number of people who transport cars internationally is probably relatively small. Still, it happens. And there is the used car market between some countries...

Last edited:
Right. I understand your point better, now. Same thing for North America once the CCS1 adapter is released. Knowledgeable TMC folks say the need for CHAdeMO will drop to close to zero (as will the asking prices for the adapters).

My point was that anyone taking a Tesla from one charging region to another (say Japan to Australia, Canda to France, or Hong Kong to the USA, or vice versa) can possibly benefit from bringing a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with them, since Supercharging and CCS charging may be difficult/dangerous/expensive, whereas a CHAdeMO adapter matched to the car's charging port may work anywhere (albeit more slowly than SC or CCS).

So the CHAdeMO adapters (either kind: TPC or Type 2) are interesting because afaik they can be used at any CHAdeMO charging station in the world. You just have to have the right plug version for your Tesla car. That is not true for CCS1 (North America only?) and CCS2 (Europe, Oceania, and elsewhere). Fortunately, the number of people who transport cars internationally is probably relatively small. Still, it happens. And there is the used car market between some countries...
Due to tax credits on EVs in the USA, quite a number of North American spec EVs have been exported to other markets that normally use CCS2. For example, some used e-Golf were exported to Iceland and the new owners were trying to figure out how to fast charge them. It turns out there is an adapter for that situation too.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
People are noticing that Tesla CHAdeMO adapters in Europe (e.g., Great Britain, Italy, Germany, etc.) are very inexpensive right now. They wonder if a European CHAdeMO adapter can be purchased and used elsewhere (e.g., Japan).

The answer is NO. Do not buy an Italian CHAdeMO to use in Japan, North America, or South Korea. It will probably not work.

Despite the photo on the Tesla-Europe sites, the European CHAdeMO adapters have a Type 2 plug to attach to the Models S and X there. That plug does NOT fit a North American, Japanese, or South Korean Tesla. Cars in those three areas use the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC charging ports and corresponding plugs).

The European (Type 2) CHAdeMO adapters actually look like this:
As you can see it has a different (larger) attachment plug that will not fit a car made for Canada, Mexico, the USA, South Korea, or Japan. Too bad, because CHAdeMO adapters in Europe are very inexpensive right now. (I suspect that Tesla is dumping them in anticipation of some kind of change. Perhaps because there is a new CHAdeMO standard connector coming from China+Japan? I don't know.

I believe that the CHAdeMO adapter pictured above will work in all the European countries, as well as Oceania (New Zealand and Australia, Hong Kong, and [now] Taiwan).

Why do so many Tesla websites have the wrong CHAdeMO adapter pictured? (I am not sure. I suspect it is just web-master laziness.) The TPC CHAdeMO adapter (used in Japan, South Korea, and North America) looks like this:

Chademo is basically dead in Europe. At least in France, Chademo is officially no longer required on Quickchargers.

People are noticing that Tesla CHAdeMO adapters in Europe (e.g., Great Britain, Italy, Germany, etc.) are very inexpensive right now. They wonder if a European CHAdeMO adapter can be purchased and used elsewhere (e.g., Japan).

The answer is NO. Do not buy an Italian CHAdeMO to use in Japan, North America, or South Korea. It will probably not work.

Despite the photo on the Tesla-Europe sites, the European CHAdeMO adapters have a Type 2 plug to attach to the Models S and X there. That plug does NOT fit a North American, Japanese, or South Korean Tesla. Cars in those three areas use the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC charging ports and corresponding plugs).

As you can see it has a different (larger) attachment plug that will not fit a car made for Canada, Mexico, the USA, South Korea, or Japan. Too bad, because CHAdeMO adapters in Europe are very inexpensive right now. (I suspect that Tesla is dumping them in anticipation of some kind of change. Perhaps because there is a new CHAdeMO standard connector coming from China+Japan? I don't know.

I believe that the CHAdeMO adapter pictured above will work in all the European countries, as well as Oceania (New Zealand and Australia, Hong Kong, and [now] Taiwan).

Why do so many Tesla websites have the wrong CHAdeMO adapter pictured? (I am not sure. I suspect it is just web-master laziness.) The TPC CHAdeMO adapter (used in Japan, South Korea, and North America) looks like this:

You could use two adapters Chademo->CCS->TPC if you are really desperate.

Questions for all the Tesla owners in Japan: how often are you actually using the CHAdeMO adapter?
I'm thinking to rely on the mobile connector and Superchargers, saving on CHAdeMO.

Does it make sense?

Yes. In North America a large proportion of charging (at least by people who own homes) is at home, overnight using AC (at ~32-amp rate). If you have access to 220-240-volt AC source at home, that may be adequate. For any travel, of course use (DC) Superchargers, for sure, if there is now a good SC network in the Country.

But what started this thread was my assumption that CHAdeMO is still the predominant DC travel charging standard in Japan. Maybe this is no longer true, or becoming less so?

Last edited:

Hi everyone, I want to clarify that Tesla models before 2021 do not have the hardware to use CCS, it tells you on the car menu. It can't be updated as it lacks the wiring. So we're stuck with only CHAdeMO. I found out the hard way getting stranded where only CCS and CHAdeMO we're available at the Hilton hotel.

I also want to point out that just because they're "getting phased out" doesn't mean they're going aroundjanking them out of the ground, especially these stations that have CCS and CHADEMO combined in one unit.

My question replying to @tps5352 is whether we can just use the included J1772 adapter on the EU CHAdeMo you pictured.

Hi everyone, I want to clarify that Tesla models before 2021 do not have the hardware to use CCS, it tells you on the car menu. It can't be updated as it lacks the wiring...

There have been a number of posts about the potential for updating cars that do not currently have CCS capability. Check with knowledgeable folks about that. I believe member FalconFour, for example, has published his DIY story? And others contributors are experienced with the electronic engineering needed. I thought that a key small printed circuit board replacement--located off the trunk near the charge port--is/was available from Tesla? (With the chip shortage perhaps it is out of stock?) (I'm afraid I haven't paid much attention to the details, as I am fortunate that my early-2021 Model X is already CCS compatible. How do I know that? (a) Use center touch screen. (b) Go to "Software" page. (c) Choose "Additional vehicle support." (d) An "Additional vehicle information" pop-up box will appear. (e) In it, the "CCS adater support" line will indicate "Enabled," or "Not installed" if the news is bad.)

Anyway, I do know that Tesla still offers update kits for older Models S & X in Europe. The DC charging standard there is CCS2. But I believe the principal (for upgrading) is the same or similar to what will take place here, in North America, if and when a CCS1 adapter is finally released.

I also want to point out that just because they're "getting phased out" doesn't mean they're going aroundjanking them out of the ground, especially these stations that have CCS and CHADEMO combined in one unit.

Yes. Hopefully the third-party companies that operate those charging stations will continue to maintain CCS1 (DC), CHAdeMO (DC), and/or J1772 (AC) charging facilities, especially in outlying areas (away from Superchargers) where long-distance travelers really need charging stations.

My question replying to @tps5352 is whether we can just use the included J1772 adapter on the EU CHAdeMo you pictured.

Thanks for your question. AFAIK, the answer is no. It will not fit. (To see why, compare photos of (North American) J1772 and (European) Type 2 plugs in Reference Thread #1, below.)

I read (for example in Wikipedia) that "J1772" is a North American standard. The J1772 adapter supplied by Tesla is intended to be used for AC charging facilities and home-charging equipment used by pretty much every other brand of electric car in North America other than Tesla. For example, frequently public AC-charging stalls in municipal parking lots will have J1772 plugs. In order to charge a Tesla at one of those you need the (black cylindrical) J1772-to-TPC adapter that comes with every new Tesla sold. (Meanwhile, public and third-party DC charging stations tend to use CCS1 equipment. Hence the frenzied desire by many Tesla drivers for a Tesla-made/approved CCS1-to-TPC adapter.)

This North American adapter will not fit the Type 2 ("Mennekes") plug used in Europe, Oceania (Australia and New Zealand), Taiwan, and other regions to fit Models S and X there. (Meanwhile, Models 3 and Y in those areas now use a CCS2 port, so the NA J1772 adapter is no good for them, either.)

For comparative information with illustrations about plugs, ports, and adapters used in Tesla cars worldwide, check these threads (starting with the latest):
  1. International...Charging-Plug Standards
  2. Charging Equipment...Map
  3. Tesla Charge Ports & Plugs...Compared...
  4. ...Notable Charging Accessories...of Selected Countries
  5. What ...Accessories Come with New [Cars]?

Last edited:
Questions for all the Tesla owners in Japan: how often are you actually using the CHAdeMO adapter?
I'm thinking to rely on the mobile connector and Superchargers, saving on CHAdeMO.

Does it make sense?
I use my Chademo adapter a couple of times per month. Unfortunately, Chademo will be with us here in Japan for a long long time. I still haven't seen a CCS plug anywhere in Kansai. (I heard a rumor of a station in Tokyo, but I might have been dreaming that.)
The indicator is going to be what Nissan does with the Ariya. From everything that I have found, the Japan version is going to be chademo on that as well.
If anyone has newer info, please let me know :)