Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO or CCS/SAE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am fairly new to Tesla life and usually charge at home with solar, or use a Tesla supercharger on longer trips. On one of my routes, there are no superchargers but there is a FLO station along the way with a J-1772 (I have this adapter but it is only 7.2 kW), a CHAdeMO (50 kW), and a CCS/SAE (50 kW). Should I get one of those latter two adapters? Is one more common than the other? Thanks!

Attachments

• aaaaa.PNG
    aaaaa.PNG
    299.7 KB · Views: 208
Tesla stopped selling the ChadeMo adapter. The CCS2 (USA standard for CCS) or the Tesla adapter will likely become the US standard. It supports much faster charging than most anything else, as does the Tesla proprietary connector. The J-1772 is also useful, but much slower. I don't know about Canada, but probably will be mostly like the US.

Reactions: Ohnj
Upvote 0
The CCS2 (USA standard for CCS)
We don't have CCS2 in the US. We have CCS1 aka SAE Combo aka Combo1.

What is CHAdeMO charging? about 2/3 of the way down has a visual aid. CCS2 is in countries where Mennekes Type 2 is used (we don't have that in the US). The US for L1 and L2 AC charging uses J1772 so the upper portion of SAE Combo/Combo1/CCS1 matches.
CCS is way more common
That's at CHAdeMO saboteur (owned by VW of America) Electrify America stations where they install a single CHAdeMO handle + 5 to 7 (usually) or as many as 27 CCS at site.

Most other major non-Tesla charging networks at their DC FC sites have an equal or closer to equal ratio of CCS vs. CHAdeMO handles.

That said, Tesla's discontinued CHAdeMO adapter maxes out at 50 kW while their now official CCS1 adapter can go much higher.

Upvote 0
We don't have CCS2 in the US. We have CCS1 aka SAE Combo aka Combo1.

What is CHAdeMO charging? about 2/3 of the way down has a visual aid. CCS2 is in countries where Mennekes Type 2 is used (we don't have that in the US). The US for L1 and L2 AC charging uses J1772 so the upper portion of SAE Combo/Combo1/CCS1 matches.

That's at CHAdeMO saboteur (owned by VW of America) Electrify America stations where they install a single CHAdeMO handle + 5 to 7 (usually) or as many as 27 CCS at site.

Most other major non-Tesla charging networks at their DC FC sites have an equal or closer to equal ratio of CCS vs. CHAdeMO handles.

That said, Tesla's discontinued CHAdeMO adapter maxes out at 50 kW while their now official CCS1 adapter can go much higher.
Thanks for correcting CCS version mistake. Been a hectic Thanksgiving.😄

Upvote 0