Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Challenges Backing Up While Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Deaf Paul

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2023
Oahu, Hawaii
I have two recurring challenges when backing up while trailering.

1. I have the high res HW4 cameras in my 2023 MYP. However the images on the screen aren’t quite big enough to be useful for monitoring the trailer accurately while backing up. I recall seeing somebody on YouTube whose display was able to show the rear camera in full screen size. Tapping on the video images doesn’t do anything. How can I get full images of the cameras on my screen when backing up? Or is that something that only the Model S Plaid does?

2. The car freaks out if I’m backing down the boat ramp too slowly. It throws itself into park because it thinks it’s rolling away. When that happens, the sudden stop is rough on my car, boat and passengers. Also makes me look like an idiot at the ramp repeatedly jerking to a stop and then trying to put it back into reverse.

I did find a solution and that’s to go into neutral and just coast down the ramp backwards but then I lose access to the rear cameras.

How are the experts here doing it?

-Paul.

I have two recurring challenges when backing up while trailering.

1. I have the high res HW4 cameras in my 2023 MYP. However the images on the screen aren’t quite big enough to be useful for monitoring the trailer accurately while backing up. I recall seeing somebody on YouTube whose display was able to show the rear camera in full screen size. Tapping on the video images doesn’t do anything. How can I get full images of the cameras on my screen when backing up? Or is that something that only the Model S Plaid does?

2. The car freaks out if I’m backing down the boat ramp too slowly. It throws itself into park because it thinks it’s rolling away. When that happens, the sudden stop is rough on my car, boat and passengers. Also makes me look like an idiot at the ramp repeatedly jerking to a stop and then trying to put it back into reverse.

I did find a solution and that’s to go into neutral and just coast down the ramp backwards but then I lose access to the rear cameras.

How are the experts here doing it?

-Paul.
Change Stopping Mode to either Creep or Roll
Sounds like you have in Hold

Reactions: Pianewman
You can turn on the rear cameras by accessing them from the onscreen app menu at the bottom of the screen. I often turn mine on after parking to see that I'm evenly in the space. Or when I'm driving in heavy traffic and want to keep an eye on the road behind me as well as to the front of me.

Put your seatbelt on.

Change Stopping Mode to either Creep or Roll
Sounds like you have in Hold
Thanks for the tip. will try that if putting on the seatbelt isn’t the solution.
You can turn on the rear cameras by accessing them from the onscreen app menu at the bottom of the screen. I often turn mine on after parking to see that I'm evenly in the space. Or when I'm driving in heavy traffic and want to keep an eye on the road behind me as well as to the front of me.

From the nested menu options like under “Safety” or one of these, or is there an icon somewhere?
Put your seatbelt on.
That’s an interesting solution. I honestly can’t recall if i had my seatbelt on or not the times it has freaked out on me but that could be the solution!

From the nested menu options like under “Safety” or one of these, or is there an icon somewhere?

Items 6, 7 & 8 on the illustration here:

(This is the same on a MY but the MS was the first google hit I found.)

I don't know how many times I've paged through all the damn screens looking something I knew was there only to discover it is actually one of the apps so found elsewhere.

Reactions: Deaf Paul