Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Trial FSD, What DoYou Think About It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I thought I was quite done with the testing, but once more unto the breach... Tonight the thing decided to slow for a simple stop sign in an intersection with no other cars or pedestrians present. It stopped so slowly, and from a farther distance than I though was reasonably possible that if I had another car behind me they would have blown past and around me in a fit of rage. It was if some elderly person in a wheel chair was trying to cross the street.

Then, after a couple seconds of deciding if it was clear enough to proceed (nobody was there), it rocketed away faster than I ever have done. Note, the FSD settings were in "Chill" mode, just as my normal settings are without FSD. My DriveSafe app noted an acceleration transgression at that point, as I knew it would have, and of course, my score was reduced.

I am done. $15,000, $12,000, $10,000, $8,000... I wouldn't spend a dime on this crap.
It stopped cautiously at a stop sign. Crazy! It doesn’t care if there are no cars it’s the law. If someone wants to get butt hurt and drive around you good for them. In an autonomous future some of us need to remember it Won’t drive like you selectively picking laws we think might apply. If more people were in less of a hurry or more worried about other people’s “feelings” there will be less accidents long term. Don’t like slow, steady, and safe don’t use it!

Reactions: rwjr44
It stopped cautiously at a stop sign. Crazy! It doesn’t care if there are no cars it’s the law. If someone wants to get butt hurt and drive around you good for them. In an autonomous future some of us need to remember it Won’t drive like you selectively picking laws we think might apply. If more people were in less of a hurry or more worried about other people’s “feelings” there will be less accidents long term. Don’t like slow, steady, and safe don’t use it!
Yeah, but then it happily goes 55+ in a 45 mph zone and no offsets are on???

I am not convinced, just yet. So I am not subscribing but I will drive the car with basic autopilot for awhile. Since I only have 1000 miles on the MYLR I feel the need to do a more detailed comparison. I think that FSD is technically impressive. Tesla has a masterful work in progress product here. FSD seems to perform every task required for driving. But it lacks the finesse that makes driving partly an art. It isn't easy on the car. Brakes too hard, corners improperly and too fast and moves too abruptly. As I stated before, it is like a high school student that has just received his license, not a professional driver who drives fast but doesn't stress the car needlessly.
If I drove more, I would probably take a deep breath and reluctantly subscribe (even at $99.00). I'll revisit the matter in a month or so.

Reactions: dusty22
Tesla has a masterful work in progress product here. FSD seems to perform every task required for driving. But it lacks the finesse that makes driving partly an art. It isn't easy on the car. Brakes too hard, corners improperly and too fast and moves too abruptly. As I stated before, it is like a high school student that has just received his license, not a professional driver who drives fast but doesn't stress the car needlessly.

That matches my observations. I'm impressed with the general performance of FSD but it needs refinement. I wish Tesla would provide a way to adjust FSD to a driver's driving style. Perhaps a sliding scale one could move to adjust accelleration, cornering, stop sign behavior etc. I try to minimize wear on the car and FSD does nothing in that regard. I also try to avoid pavement defects but FSD rolls right over them. That behavior alone keeps me from using it unless I am very familiar with a particular roadway.

I recevied 2024.3.25 just around 11 pm tonight a decided to take the car out before my FSD expired. I drove around for over an hour and FSD worked fine after midnight. I noticed some changes in behavior. It did better at stop signs; less hesitation. Also, auto park worked very well. I could hardly get it to work before this update. The visualization showed all of the parking spaces and parked cars; didn't show any of that before. This was a great opportunity to learn more about my car and I want to thank Tesla for the free trial of FSD. Back to normal tomorrow.​

The free FSD disappeared yesterday. Wasn't a month like they promised. The visualization screen reverted back to it's 2/5ths size and the orange cones and garbage cans came back to visibility again (they were missing in FSD). The Autosteer (Beta) choice for one pull or two pulls was the fist thing I had to select to get that nag screen off the display. On a short drive to the local Costco I decided to try the Autosteer out, which I had never used previously. It seemed to work more or less. I turned it off after a few blocks because, just like FSD, it was deciding to drive the tires over the roughest parts of the roadway. No thanks. On a smooth highway it should work OK and I'll try that again for a longer period. There are some options in the Autopilot area to make it slightly more sensible to use.

Of note, most of the FSD visualizations remained! I didn't expect that and is most welcome The car's directional prompt is gone (useless). Speed limit signs appeared as I passed, which I hadn't seen in FSD trial mode. Before, the speed limit at the top of the screen popped to the new speed just as I passed the signs. Now, like in FSD trial mode, the speed limit displays just a few seconds prior to passing the signs.

I guess we're waiting for the big spring update now. There should be some new toys in that release to play with.

I recevied 2024.3.25 just around 11 pm tonight a decided to take the car out before my FSD expired. I drove around for over an hour and FSD worked fine after midnight. I noticed some changes in behavior. It did better at stop signs; less hesitation. Also, auto park worked very well. I could hardly get it to work before this update. The visualization showed all of the parking spaces and parked cars; didn't show any of that before. This was a great opportunity to learn more about my car and I want to thank Tesla for the free trial of FSD. Back to normal tomorrow.​

I seem to have gotten at least one more day as it is still working.

original Email says
This trial will end on May 1, 2024.

The free FSD trial has been fun. I'm on my last day and I have to say I'm impressed with V12. For me it's been a night and day difference compared to V11 I rented last year, which was borderline unusable in the cities. That said, I found my self using FSD less and less as the month progressed, so not sure if I'll miss it much. At least the new $99/month subscription price make it fairly painless to rent it if I get the urge to use FSD or before a road trip.

Reactions: dusty22