Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Trial FSD, What DoYou Think About It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the update last night. I was surprised to see the trial FSD offer when I started the car today. I must say that the FSD visualization is a definite improvement in and of itself. I believe it adds to safety as I can see more vehicles around me. I actually moved the blind spot camera image to the right side of the screen because it blocked the visualization; never even thought of doing that before.

I finally tried FSD on the last two miles of my trip home. I had pulled over to the side of the road to activate it. There was no visibile traffic approaching from either direction. The car quickly accelerated to the 30mph speed limit which caught me off guard; much faster than I accelerate from a parked position. The car stopped for stop signs, signaled for turns and responded to traffic signals as it should.

I'm not ready to drive the car in more challenging conditions; perhaps in time. FSD is a little too aggressive compared to my driving style. Perhaps Tesla could add a feature that would allow FSD to learn to an individual's driving habits and to adjust accordingly.

When the trial ends in a month, the FSD visualization will revert back to standard ÀP visualization which is too bad; I believe it makes driving the car even safer than it already is.

Would I buy it? Well, not at the current price but so far, I have only five minutes driving experience with it, so we'll see. It is very amazing technology.

Reactions: DBV1 and Yelobird
If you’re interested in what others are saying about the latest FSD (12.3.x), there are plenty of threads here you can look at.

Not interested what FSD subscribers have to say. They are mostly sold on it. I am interested in what non FSD Tesla owners like myself think. I had no intrest in FSD before this free trial. It is now in my car so I'm going to cautiously try it out. Nothing to lose and I'll at least have the full FSD experience and better understand dicussions about it. I try to learn as much as I can about the car.

Reactions: Jedisparky
Glad to hear people are enjoying their free trials... I'm just wondering, WHERE'S MY BLOODY INVITE? I'm on the Advanced track for OTA updates, currently running 2024.8.7 on my 2022 MY. I heard from a friend who also has a 2022 MY and he got the FSD trial. What am I missing?

I was under the impression that 8.7 was going to Europe and that 3.10 had the FSD trial and was going out to cars in North America.

I like the visualizations of FSD better than my AP visualizations, but prefer TACC and autosteer over FSD for driving.
Tesla would probably make a fortune if they offered “enhanced visualizations” for non-FSD customers as a one-time charge like they do for Acceleration Boost.

The notes for update 3.10 mention improved visualization. An improved visualiztion was on my screen before I signed on for the trial FSD. Perhaps we got it in the update and it is what we are now seeing?

Reactions: Star K1tty
I tried it out yesterday for the very first time. I drove mostly on a 2 lane 45 mph country road, a bit on a not very busy 4 lane divided highway, and a little bit in a small town.

My initial impression was WOW, it's absolutely amazing that it can drive this well!
That said, there were a few things that would make me reluctant to use it if another car was behind me:
  • Approaching a stop sign, it slowed to a creep way sooner than it should have, then slowly crept up to the stop sign, and waited far too long before proceeding. (There were no other cars on the road here).
  • Same with making a left turn - it slowed down way too much, way too soon, then very slowly took the turn.
  • Driving on the 45 mph road, it slowed down frequently and rarely stayed at 45 mph for very long. Most of the time it was staying at 40 to 43 mph. I assume it was being cautious on hills and curves but seemed overly cautious, even where it should have had a very clear view of the road ahead.
I look forward try trying it out some more, but my initial impression is: amazing, but not something I'd want to use except in special circumstances.

Not interested what FSD subscribers have to say. They are mostly sold on it. I am interested in what non FSD Tesla owners like myself think. I had no intrest in FSD before this free trial. It is now in my car so I'm going to cautiously try it out. Nothing to lose and I'll at least have the full FSD experience and better understand dicussions about it. I try to learn as much as I can about the car.
Fair enough, but you’re losing perspective by ignoring everyone who used FSD Beta before and know how it’s evolved. Note that some people who are getting the trial are former FSD owners/subscribers who don’t use it anymore on a regular basis, including me.

Reactions: Jedisparky
Fair enough, but you’re losing perspective by ignoring everyone who used FSD Beta before and know how it’s evolved. Note that some people who are getting the trial are former FSD owners/subscribers who don’t use it anymore on a regular basis, including me.
^^^THIS^^ is what I want to know. Who had/has it, that just doesn't use it anymore? Far more intriguing question to me. It was my first time using it. I went to a concert 40 miles from my house. It navigated perfectly, SO COOL. I used it locally for some short trips for a couple of days before the novelty quickly wore off. It's cool and new, and I'm REALLY glad we got this opportunity to try it.

I like the way I drive better.

It's not there yet. (I didn't expect it to be) I use the hell out of my Autopilot on the highway and stop and go traffic. THAT I would pay for (I guess I did in the car price). *That* I now NEED, lol. Not FSD, especially not at that price. But again, thanks Tesla for the free month to check it out, very cool.

Reactions: CCopperpot
Who had/has it, that just doesn't use it anymore?
To elaborate on my situation: I purchased FSD for my previous 2018 Model S, but I only paid $3k at the time (in addition to what I paid for EAP). The non-beta version of FSD didn’t add anything to FSD except traffic light/stop sign control, but I did play around with FSD Beta when it became available. When I got a new Model S last year, they weren’t doing the FSD Transfer promotion yet, so I decided to just buy EAP and subscribe to FSD when I wanted it (which I did for a road trip last year).

I still have access to FSD Beta in my wife’s Model Y, but she doesn’t use it (or any AP features). She doesn’t really like it when I use FSD when driving her car with her in it. We bought FSD for her 2018 Model 3 for only $2k, and took advantage of the FSD Transfer promotion when we bought her Model Y last year.

For me, EAP does everything I need, and I use that a lot. I’ve enjoyed playing with FSD Beta, but I don’t get much value from it. The primary reason I subscribed to FSD on my road trip was to remove the restriction where Autosteer won’t go more than 5mph over the speed limit on rural highways. When I use FSD to go from point A to B on city streets, I do it mainly to evaluate its performance. It does pretty well overall, but it's far from perfect, and you really need to pay attention.

There is a setting to put FSD in "Chill" mode. Try that if it is too aggressive for you.

I still wouldn't pay $10,000 for it!
I'm not sure who decided what "Chill" is, but I'm pretty sure he drinks about 10 Red Bull a day! In "Chill" mode my MYLR goes from 0 to 45mph in around 4 seconds and when it hits the 45mph speed limit I get about an inch or more of green regen braking. Going around intersection corners is a guessing game and white knuckler. Sometimes it does fine, other times it's on the verge of doing it's version of drifting. Today it went around a 90 degree intersection in an urban setting at a normal speed for a tight 25' or so inside radius turn (maybe 5 to 10 mph from a stop) BUT half way through the intersection the rear tires started lightly spinning and throwing up loose gravel from the road as it did it's 10mph to 50 mph (speed limit of the road it turned onto) in probably the same 4 seconds or so and then the same inch of green regen bar??? WTH? From a stop in traffic following another car it surges forward as soon as the car in front moves and then has to back off with significant regen braking. There is NO smoothness to it's acceleration and deceleration from the 100 or so miles I have driven it. It's better than V11 (I've not experienced any phantom braking so far) but how about a READ "CHILL" mode or at least an option to soften the accel/decel. The way it accels/decels will definitely affect tire wear.

I would challenge anyone to put a glass of water on the dash and see if you can get more than a block without launching it all over the car while using FSD. I can drive it that way without FSD and never spill it and I don't drive like grandma. FSD drives like a teenage driver or as I use to say about my wife - she only knew two speeds for the car ... OFF and ON!!! Your are either sitting still or the pedal is floored.

In regards to enhanced visualizations, I am wondering what parts of this will persist after the 30-day trial ends. I got TWO software updates in the last several days, one day apart. The first had the enhanced greyscale wide view (even behind if you rotated the screen car 180 degrees) that included parked cars in driveways, better cross street views, and other awareness (but no more garbage cans?). That was very interesting in itself. That update was not the official FSD trial, but bug fixes and etc.

Then the next night the FSD package was delivered, keeping the enhanced greyscale views when FSD is not engaged. I should say that I haven't had it drive itself in FSD yet, but I do know that the color visualization if very advanced when it is engaged. But I'm not asking about the FSD view when it is active.

So do we think that the wider view greyscale visualization will stay up once the free trial is over?

Reactions: Stach
Never had FSD until this trial (way too expensive for something that I (a) don't need, and (b) doesn't function very well.). Because if the trial I have been using it, mostly in city driving setting, sometimes with little traffic, sometimes with traffic. Being an engineer and understanding how computer vision and deep learning works, I am thoroughly impressed by what this can do, and I can see the future, but...

It (still) does not do certain things very well, or even well. One example, already mentioned is stop signs. In particular around here there are many stop signs, immediately followed by a painted cross walk. The car stops, completely, for the stop sign (good). Then waits a considerable time before starting to creep into the cross-walk, necessary for the cameras to see left and right to determine if it can proceed. This creep is very slow, and sometimes hesitates partway through. Then, once it goes (in chill mode) it accelerates a lot faster than I would (and I say this having driven a BMW M3 and 535 before). If I had people behind me at those stops, they would certainly be frustrated.

Another thing is that after I decide I want it to drive in the #1 lane of 2, and it knows there is a right turn 2 mi away, it will insist on going into the #2 lane, which is narrower and with a dangerous curb on the right side. I could see 0.5 mi, but not 2 mi.

In other situations with "lane ends, merge left", it doesn't see the sign, but does seem to see the arrows on the road, and does merge, but in about half the situations, does not use the blinker. I am a stickler for blinker use, although I know that prob. 50%+ of the driving public in the US does not care.

Auto parking, backing into a space does not work very well. Sometimes parks on/across the line, sometimes moves the car back and forth to "get it right" but still doesn't get it right. The idea is great, but the execution still lacks. Have not tried parallel parking yet.

There's more, but I'll leave it at that. So technically I am very impressed, but practically it is not good enough. Driving style would freak my wife out, so I can probably never use it with her in the car. Furthermore the price is absolutely ridiculous. At best I would pay $1,000 for this as an option, if it worked perfectly (meaning drives more like a good driver, but still obeying rules of the road), perhaps $2,000, but that's it. I'll happily gather more experience in this free month, and may at some point in the future, if the situation warrants it, rent it for a month.