Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change charge speed while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Soon to be tesla MY LR 2023 owner.

I know you can adjust the charge amps on the screen in the car and in the app.

But can you change them while charging ?

I mean...If the car is in the driveway charging at, say 16A, and i want to lower that at some time during the day, because the kids come home and the house consumption rises. My solar system is only rated for a given wattage, anything above that, we use, we have to buy, so to maximize the use of free solar it would be nice to be able to adjust this.

So is this possible?

Hi

Soon to be tesla MY LR 2023 owner.

I know you can adjust the charge amps on the screen in the car and in the app.

But can you change them while charging ?

I mean...If the car is in the driveway charging at, say 16A, and i want to lower that at some time during the day, because the kids come home and the house consumption rises. My solar system is only rated for a given wattage, anything above that, we use, we have to buy, so to maximize the use of free solar it would be nice to be able to adjust this.

So is this possible?
Yes it is possible. Enjoy your upcoming purchase.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Thank you both, this is ideal for me, so i am glad it is working this way.

Now we only need the car (Or wall charger) to integrate into home assistant to read the wattage produced, so that it can change the charge rate, dynamically with the production :)

There's a long history of people doing this, see for example this long thread on Home Assistant

There's also third party apps like ChargeHQ that may be able to talk to your solar inverter directly, or you can feed it data via the API.
Thank you for the answer, i can see that neither my current EV Charger nor my current solar inverter is accepted.

I have a sensor in Home assistant that is "Surplus solar" which shows "Current production, minus current consumption", all i would need is a Tesla wallcharger integration where i could feed this one sensor into it, and it would just work :)

This is not me being lazy, this is me being unable to jump through 100 hoops in Home assistant, i am a quite basic user :)

I will just adjust it myself, until hopefully someone with actual skills instead of my no-skills, makes such an integration :)