Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla should have offered two different $5000 PUP options.

1. Alcantara, etc
2. I could care less

At least thats what the poll indicates....right? Then everyone would be happy.

Those are the same two options....

1) I want Alcantara
2) I care enough that I want Alcantara

You're missing the option for those who don't care.

BTW, my $65k Audi A6....no skin of the Alcant...my $51k BMW and $46k BMW, the same...had to go look again to remind myself, but just a nice, perfectly fit and tightly woven (feels like) nylon of some type. Alcantara is far from a key component of any luxury car. I suspect even the folks at Tesla are surprised at how seemingly important this is and how much controversy it has generated. They probably thought they were doing an innocuous material change and their Design Office likely tried to choose something comparable....another synthetic cloth...minus the brand name. The PR folks have likely just been caught flat-footed...they are still somewhat new at this. I've been on that side of the table long enough to know how the ball gets fumbled when a team is surprised or the right hand didn't check first with the left hand before acting. It's almost always more lack of coordination than a conspiracy!

But you already have paid for it, if you got PUP. That's the whole gripe of the situation. Some people who got PUP actually get a premium headliner, while others (The 99%, ironically ;) ) are getting a product used in Hyundais/Kia's that Tesla has chosen to call "Premium".

At the detailer's today, another Model 3 was being handed over for a wrap. Saw it had a higher last 4 digits of VIN but was marked for 2017 while mine is lower and marked 2018. The 2017 Model 3 also had the suede like headline while mine did not.

Given a choice, I would've taken the suede stuff. But the other stuff is a fine material too. I don't know if I would pay $500 more for the suede stuff, so I don't think it matters that much to me.

Reactions: insaneoctane
What?

These were my options.

1. Alcantara, etc
2. I could care less

I could care less means. I don't care.

You would be one to select #2.
I care a lot about my wife and family. It would be very easy for me to care less about them, because I love them so much.

I could care less means I care. That was his point. But I knew what you meant.

I'm honestly not happy to pay $5000 for the PUP as it is - I'd rather have the option to skip some items for a lower price. But if I'm forced to bundle options and include things that are less valuable to me, some kind of synthetic suede instead of textile for the headliner would certainly make me feel less unhappy about it.

After the bait and switch, I am even more unhappy about the forced PUP pricing. The least they could do is lower the price.

One can always hope that by the time I get to configure, I can order PUP options separately, but ... I doubt it.

Though given the option I would much rather have a car with the headliner matching the visors and mirror flaps, regardless of material, than some of those poor unfortunates with transition vehicles ...

I'm more disappointed that I cannot select AP2 in lieu of PUP. It would save Tesla money, and make me a happier customer. They still get their $49k sale, but don't have to spend the time or money for the PUP stuff. All the AP2 components are pre-installed if I understand it correctly.

PUP adds weight, and there are no features of it I use. Heck, I'd go the Dodge Demon route, and have the rear seats optional.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Its not a requirement to tell your spouse that you care for them from time to time.... You will still be married.
Its not a requirement to take out the garbage in your house from time to time.... You will still be the home owner.
Its not a requirement to take a shower every now and then.... You won't die.
Its not a requirement to smile from time to time.... Your face won't fall off if you don't

Neither is it a requirement for Tesla to tell anyone that a headliner is changing. They already have their billions and more on the way.

Part of being an adult is doing the things that you aren't required to do....simply because its a good idea....simply because it would make someone else's day.

Mankind is failing this type of behavior more and more every day. Some things are just a good idea because it would make someone else feel better. And maybe....just maybe......feel better about you.

Last edited:
What?

I could care less means. I don't care.

Not in English, it doesn't. It means the opposite. You intended to offer, "I couldn't care less". Posted before but please review.
We're falling to the level where "I'm like" is substituted for "I said"...come on, folks...we only have our words in English here...at least for native speakers who are supposedly high-income, high-education Tesla prospects....let's keep our game at "literate"!

carebar.gif

I could care less means I care. That was his point. But I knew what you meant.

It would relatively simple to add this to AutoCorrect as a browser plug-in.

The more tragic issue is how bad new articles are with such powerful spelling and grammar checking software that is available today. They actually get proof-read.

Not in English, it doesn't. It means the opposite. You intended to offer, "I couldn't care less". Posted before but please review.
We're falling to the level where "I'm like" is substituted for "I said"...come on, folks...we only have our words in English here...at least for native speakers who are supposedly high-income, high-education Tesla prospects....let's keep our game at "literate"!

View attachment 273258
Read my post directly above yours.

It would relatively simple to add this to AutoCorrect as a browser plug-in.

The more tragic issue is how bad new articles are with such powerful spelling and grammar checking software that is available today. They actually get proof-read.
indeed.

People need to do some "self auto corrects" for each other......like @ohmman did for me here.

We could eliminate at least 1 off topic page of this thread.

Look.

Tesla set a value to Alcantara. Tesla also set a value to their weave product.

No matter what opinion anyone had - Tesla set a value to it.

High end = Alcantara across all models. - Non-High End = weave product.

Tesla also set a price to their high end version that included Alcantara = $5000 extra.
Tesla aslo set a price to their Non-High end version that included their weave product = 0$ extra

Now Tesla is requiring that people still pay the $5000 without giving them Alcantara.

It does not matter what I think about Alcantara or the weave product. It does not matter how anyone values it.

Why didn't the price go down across all models? maybe $4500 now?

I'm more disappointed that I cannot select AP2 in lieu of PUP. It would save Tesla money, and make me a happier customer. They still get their $49k sale, but don't have to spend the time or money for the PUP stuff. All the AP2 components are pre-installed if I understand it correctly.

PUP adds weight, and there are no features of it I use. Heck, I'd go the Dodge Demon route, and have the rear seats optional.
The premium upgrade doesn’t really cost Tesla much money and returns high profit, options are the profit center of autos. PUP adds vinyl (fake leather) on the seats instead of "premium textile" cloth seats, better speakers and a glass roof panel. These together as a $5000 option is more profitable than selling a base car for $35k. They require the premium upgrade to boost profits on the first cars as they know requiring it will not slow early sales. Autopilot is an option they know will be selected at a high rate anyway so it doesn’t artificially increase the real base price paid while still being optioned on early deliveries.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
indeed.

People need to do some "self auto corrects" for each other......like @ohmman did for me here.

We could eliminate at least 1 off topic page of this thread.

Shhhh... Don't let the staff read this. I'll hide it. Press CTRL-A to read it.

If mods are concerned about speeeling or gramer, it is actually quicker for them in most cases just to edit a correction into the original text than respond to the thread concerning erorrs in either.
Now to find out if Ohmman has a sense of humor. ;)

Kind of like "Happy Birthday! I was going to put $100 in this card, but I had already sealed it and it was my last envelope. I'll catch you next year."

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
The premium upgrade doesn’t really cost Tesla much money and returns high profit, options are the profit center of autos. PUP adds vinyl (fake leather) on the seats instead of "premium textile" cloth seats, better speakers and a glass roof panel. These together as a $5000 option is more profitable than selling a base car for $35k. They require the premium upgrade to boost profits on the first cars as they know requiring it will not slow early sales. Autopilot is an option they know will be selected at a high rate anyway so it doesn’t artificially increase the real base price paid while still being optioned on early deliveries.

But they add weight. I'd pay extra not to have them. AP2 costs less since the system is already in place. AP2 does not add weight. 3900lb needs a diet.

There is nothing in my Tesla that is high end - period. Alcantara is just Ultrasuede, the same crap you see on cheesy sofas at the local rental furniture place. This is all Madison Avenue style marketing that uneducated buyers fall for. I bet there isn't a price delta, but Tesla made you believe that it was adding value to the PUP with "Alcantara", I have it in my P85+ and it looks like crap.

Give me leather! Screw this synthetic crap.

Wake up America, the 3 is Teslas's VW Bug in Electric, its not supposed to be an S. You want an S, buy an S. I am surprised it has wheels or doors at that price. I would have sold it with steel wheels from a Datsun B210 with skinny ass non-radial tires and no radio.

I will give my Alacantara if all these stupid threads will stop polluting TMC. Tesla set a value for a fabric that you fell for, that value was generated by making you believe it had value, when in fact it doesn't provide any.

Look on the used market - I don't see anyone saying they will pay a premium because you have the Alcantara option.... really. If you don't like the car walk away.

1st world problems. arrrgggghhhhh.

But they add weight. I'd pay extra not to have them. AP2 costs less since the system is already in place. AP2 does not add weight. 3900lb needs a diet.
It’s the battery that adds the most weight. If they thought it would sell enough they would put a smaller battery with higher output but shorter range as an option, it’s just about the numbers. They put AP in all cars to cut their manufacturing costs, they already know it will be purchased at a high enough rate to offset the few cars that will go out without activation.

Look.

Tesla set a value to Alcantara. Tesla also set a value to their weave product.

No matter what opinion anyone had - Tesla set a value to it.

High end = Alcantara across all models. - Non-High End = weave product.

Tesla also set a price to their high end version that included Alcantara = $5000 extra.
Tesla aslo set a price to their Non-High end version that included their weave product = 0$ extra

Now Tesla is requiring that people still pay the $5000 without giving them Alcantara.

It does not matter what I think about Alcantara or the weave product. It does not matter how anyone values it.

Why didn't the price go down across all models? maybe $4500 now?

Excellent post IMHO. If we take Tesla at their word, they've put in Alcantara intentionally on the first 1,500 cars or so in order to create buzz about the premium interior only to remove said feature quietly, and it's been "Planned all along". Yet everyone is paying the same 5K for the PUP. And it's justified because they changed the name of the base material to "Premium".

This does not pass the smell test, and the only way it can pass the smell test to anyone, is people being extraordinarily sympathetic to Tesla, and considerably less charitable to their paying customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.