Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in Auto High Beam permormance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed lately, perhaps within the last 3 months, that my auto high beams don't turn on in the same locations that they had in the past. They particulary don't turn on when traveling on a 2 lane street is narrow, even though dark and no traffic on the street. They DO turn on when there are 4 lanes of traffic when there are no uncoming headlights or tail lights in front of your car.

Thinking, perhaps, my auto brights were malfunctioning, I went Tesla and they checked out my front cameras were OK. I saw no other reports on the forum about the change in auto high beam performance, so I still thought something was wrong. Myvservice center couldn't try to duplicate my complaint at night.
So they asked me to take let me take another M3 home overnight to see if it behaved the same. Surprisingly, to me, it did. It wouldn't ever activate on a dark 2 lane residential street where it had, before.

Apparently, there has been a software change, although I can't date it to a particulary recent update. If so, why the need for this change? Perhaps when you traveling slower on a narrow residential street, your high beams shouldn't need to turn on and possibly disturb residents in houses, particularly homes ahead of your car at a crossing.

Have others, experienced this change?

Well, nobody has responded to my thread. So, I guess I will. I just discovered what changed in the auto high beam software. According to my Tesla service technician, auto high beams work only if you are travelimg at least 10mph. However, apparently that no longer is true. Now, you must be traveling over 25 mph, for them to operate. That explains better why the auto brights don't work on most residential streets when obeying the 25 mph speed limit. Once you exceed that limit, if no other cars are detected ahead, they will kick on every time. It doesn't even need to be totally dark, either. So, regardless of how many lanes there are, auto brights will work if no other cars are detected ahead, AND you are traveling over 25mph.