Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in "roll" on hills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had an issue the past couple days, perhaps not coincidentally after upgrading to 7.0.

The car seems to have more "roll" when stopping and starting on hills.

This afternoon I parked on a very slight decline. I put the car in reverse to back up and the second my foot was off the brake the car rolled forward.

Then at a stop light on an incline, I took my foot off the break. The car was stationary for a second and then started rolling back quickly.

Any ideas what this could be from? I have a RWD, and I remember seeing something about some torque changes. Possibly related?

I've had an issue the past couple days, perhaps not coincidentally after upgrading to 7.0.

The car seems to have more "roll" when stopping and starting on hills.

This afternoon I parked on a very slight decline. I put the car in reverse to back up and the second my foot was off the brake the car rolled forward.

Then at a stop light on an incline, I took my foot off the break. The car was stationary for a second and then started rolling back quickly.

Any ideas what this could be from? I have a RWD, and I remember seeing something about some torque changes. Possibly related?

That sounds like it's related to whether the car is holding brake pressure on hills, and for how long. I believe the S is supposed to hold line pressure in both directions when engaged - make sure you're firmly on the brake pedal before you let off and see if you get the same result?

After you press the brake and bring the car to a total stand still, look at the instrument cluster. Now press the brake pedal a little harder and you should see a ((H)) symbol light up near the top. This indicates that hill hold is active. At this point, you can safely move your foot off the brake and not have the car roll.

Works for me every time. It's made me so lazy, I no longer hit the Parking button. Just push the brake in, hop out of the car and the parking brake engages automatically on door open.

After you press the brake and bring the car to a total stand still, look at the instrument cluster. Now press the brake pedal a little harder and you should see a ((H)) symbol light up near the top. This indicates that hill hold is active. At this point, you can safely move your foot off the brake and not have the car roll.

Works for me every time. It's made me so lazy, I no longer hit the Parking button. Just push the brake in, hop out of the car and the parking brake engages automatically on door open.

Thanks guys, I'll try this out.

As a postscript, it turns out my Tesla (Vin 28,xxx) does not have hill hold. It was added sometime afterward. It has hill assist, which keeps the car from moving for a split second.

Turning on creep mode helps a little bit on slight inclines.