Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolled forward on its own in the garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange indeed, I always back my car in, the screen shows the distance between the rear bumper or camera and the work bench behind the car, allways stop at 24 inches. Then I pushed the button on the stalk, the car is in park and the break pedal engages. That's how the car get kept in place even when parking on hill roads (I got to try this).
The car moves itself is dangerous. Could kill small children, even adults. Tesla must revisit their software to detect no one sit in the driver seat and engages the break unless it is in tow mode with the tow bar in place (2 conditions needed).
At mean time, a stop block under the wheel works great.
It already does that:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-41E02406-1983-4511-BBB4-158DD94796C6.html

"Model 3 automatically shifts into Park whenever you connect a charge cable or if two or more of the following conditions are met simultaneously while traveling slower than approximately 1.5 mph (2 km/h):

The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
The occupancy sensor in the driver's seat does not detect an occupant.
The driver's door is opened."

In fact people complain about this when they are in a car wash (it may shift into park while trying to grab something with seatbelt off and butt off the seat) or if they are used to moving the car while door is open.

I wonder if these instances happen just after a software install. Could it be possible that when the car reboots it might momentarily release the parking brake until it is back up and sees there is no driver and puts it in Park? Some software reboots I've notice I have to redo some setting, or login info. Some I don't have to do anything. Maybe occasionally the reboot process releases the parking brake????

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I wonder if these instances happen just after a software install. Could it be possible that when the car reboots it might momentarily release the parking brake until it is back up and sees there is no driver and puts it in Park? Some software reboots I've notice I have to redo some setting, or login info. Some I don't have to do anything. Maybe occasionally the reboot process releases the parking brake????
I sure as heck hope not!

But I've experienced sitting at a traffic and then heavy rain hit. I got the "take over immediately" and it dropped out of AP and let off the brake... so...

That would be *really* dangerous though. I feel like if this were the case, hundreds of cars would have rolled down hills and killed people during software updates.

That would be *really* dangerous though. I feel like if this were the case, hundreds of cars would have rolled down hills and killed people during software updates.
I agree. If not this then someone moved the car intentionally and didn't say anything. I can't understand how a car rolled 30 feet to a no parking zone on its own. Aliens? I wonder if the hospital no parking zone is down hill from the parking spot?

I agree. If not this then someone moved the car intentionally and didn't say anything. I can't understand how a car rolled 30 feet to a no parking zone on its own. Aliens? I wonder if the hospital no parking zone is down hill from the parking spot?

We can't know if what happened to this car in the hospital parking lot is the same issue that happened to the OP in this thread. We probably shouldn't conflate these... that one could've been an accidental summon.

Last edited:
Weird occurrence. No clue how it could happen, though a flat garage floor would help. Maybe something like this could help.
AccuPark Parking Mat - Yellow, Bulk