Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change order before VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered 1.5 weeks ago and I think I want to switch to the 19" wheels/rims. I don't have a VIN yet. I don't see the option to change the configuration of the car anymore. Does that go away once payment etc. was accepted? Is there a way to still change? I don't see a number anywhere anymore either.

I ordered 1.5 weeks ago and I think I want to switch to the 19" wheels/rims. I don't have a VIN yet. I don't see the option to change the configuration of the car anymore. Does that go away once payment etc. was accepted? Is there a way to still change? I don't see a number anywhere anymore either.

You can call your sales adviser or contact Tesla support (I used the live chat) and have them route you to someone. I did the latter and was able to modify my order.

Makes me wonder about my 2/8 SR+ order. No VIN yet and in California here. If I changed from white to black interior, would I essentially move back to the beginning?

I don’t know if you would or not. You’d be moving from one batch queue installing white to one installing black. Also would depend on how large the batch is and where you fall, current upcoming one or pushed to the next batch.

Makes me wonder about my 2/8 SR+ order. No VIN yet and in California here. If I changed from white to black interior, would I essentially move back to the beginning?

I originally ordered on 12/24, on 1/5 I modified my order changing the selected wheels from 18" Aero to the 19" Sport. The Tesla SA that did that for me told me this would start me over. He's always been straight with me so believed him, but I've read on these boards, posted more than a few people that they were told the opposite from their SA when they made similar modifications to their order. It does seem like batch and location play a large roll in determining when you get your VIN assigned to you, so it's hard to predict what a change at this point would do.

I originally ordered on 12/24, on 1/5 I modified my order changing the selected wheels from 18" Aero to the 19" Sport. The Tesla SA that did that for me told me this would start me over. He's always been straight with me so believed him, but I've read on these boards, posted more than a few people that they were told the opposite from their SA when they made similar modifications to their order. It does seem like batch and location play a large roll in determining when you get your VIN assigned to you, so it's hard to predict what a change at this point would do.

Yikes I hope that isn't the case! My SA said that since my car hasnt been assigned to me that it won't slow things down. Changing the interior color seems like a bigger deals than wheels though.

I ended up switching to the 19". My sister ordered a week after me so I guess we will see if she gets hers first!

As is evident from this thread and more on TMC, people here change their minds about what they want to order. They change seat colors, car colors, versions, wheels and whether to add FSD now. If someone drops out, and the batch number has been set, someone gets one earlier.

BTW they don’t change this stuff on the car that was earmarked for you, they simply release that spot and you move to a new order spot on a differently configured car in another batch.

if your sisters car is in a batch that will be produced before yours then she’ll get hers first.