Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changed Performance 20" Wheels and Tires to Titan T7 Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and not happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi to all performance owners,

Been a while since my last post about P3D+ range... so my tires needed to be changed at 20k miles, decided to try to change wheel as well, went with Evasive Motorsports Titan T7 TS-5 for Tesla and Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires... Been having issues with loud humming sound and vibrations when driving 79-86MPH... anyone with those set if wheels and tires can share their experience? Already rebalanced and same thing... yes I know this tires are louder, I can tell from 0-75 mph.. but. the humming is a just even louder sound + vibrations... and 86+ mph no humming sound.. go figure.

Dimensions: Wheels are 19" 9"width.. tires 255x35 R19..

Thinking to return all and go back to OEM acoustic wheel, maybe I am just not patient to wait to break-in, but also I don't want to be stuck with a humming tire either.

Appreciate any inputs here from some wheel/tire aficcionados... I am for sure not one, was going with this set just because would make car lighter only, not for looks.

... went with Evasive Motorsports Titan T7 TS-5 for Tesla and Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires...

Dimensions: Wheels are 19" 9"width.. tires 255x35 R19..
That's exactly the tires size I want to get, mostly to protect from curb rash, very nice combination, do you have any pics?

Note: Going from 235x35 R20 to 255x35 R19 must be quite softer, and provides nicer corning handling, do you feel any difference?

About the loudness, it well depend of the road surface....
I often carry a bike and I need to fold the back seat, driving above 75 m/h is kind of noisy then.

About vibration, It might be because of the new tires, I read that racing tires in competition get shaved before been used.
Also the tire pressure might be too high if you feel a kind of wobbling feeling.

Last edited:
Did the wheels require hubcentric rings? Sounds like they may not be the right size or missing.

Have you noticed any improvements to your economy/acceleration with the new wheels?

I got the original hub centers with T7 logo as you can see, very nice aluminum made, $100 though.. so I don't think that's the issue, pretty sure something off with the tires.

As for acceleration I don't want to assure since I just drove 200 miles now, but I can tell my experience checking wh/mi, I can tell local has higher improvement of 15% about and freeway 10%... so I was getting 330 wh/mi, now probably around 300-310... it's marginal to be honest, I was expecting more around 280...

But on local you do notice the difference, weight affects more on low speeds I remember some "expert" saying a while ago.

That's exactly the tires size I want to get, mostly to protect from curb rash, very nice combination, do you have any pics?

Note: Going from 235x35 R20 to 255x35 R19 must be quite softer, and provides nicer corning handling, do you feel any difference?

About the loudness, it well depend of the road surface....
I often carry a bike and I need to fold the back seat, driving above 75 m/h is kind of noisy then.

About vibration, It might be because of the new tires, I read that racing tires in competition get shaved before been used.
Also the tire pressure might be too high if you feel a kind of wobbling feeling.

It's very tacky cornering, meaning I feel I can go over much higher speed with confidence vs 20" wheels... probably due to 20mm extra width on 4 wheels. But in straight line feels the same, just louder and you feel some extra vibrations. As road surface, I am comparing my work/home commute so same road.

It could new tires, but when we buy New car also are new tires, and I've never had any issues with my 7 New cars purchases... it's not wobbling feeling, but pressure is high at 44 cold and 47 hot... that's the pressure America's Tire set.. so I can't say if that's the case. As new tires needing to break in I get it, but I need to pay attention 30 day I can exchange tire for free... so will drive more this days...

below are some pictures, some has the vinyl cap on the lug nuts, some not... looks cool I agree, but comfort driving is more important for me.
IMG_9558.JPG
IMG_9559.JPG
IMG_9560.JPG
IMG_9574.JPG
IMG_9576.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
I got the original hub centers with T7 logo as you can see, very nice aluminum made, $100 though.. so I don't think that's the issue, pretty sure something off with the tires.

The hubcentric rings are on the inside. If there is a gap between the center of the wheel and the hub the result can be vibration at various speeds which seems to be your issue.

The wheels do look good! Hopefully you figure out the vibration.

• Helpful
Reactions: AtomicNucleus
The hubcentric rings are on the inside. If there is a gap between the center of the wheel and the hub the result can be vibration at various speeds which seems to be your issue.

The wheels do look good! Hopefully you figure out the vibration.

So there is gap from the inside lug nut, the huge center one... and the outside hub center cap, sorry the confusion.. is that the issue? the front left one was little loose, I've added some plumber white tape and seems more fit.. but if the problem is that gap, how can I fix that? I could remove the outside center hub and test without it... appreciate your help

Check out this link, will explain it better than I can. There are probably better resources out there, but this will give you a basic idea.

Yea so I removed the 2 front ones and didn't feel much difference, those are original from Titan T7 so I don't think that's it.. but the 2 front ones seems a bit loose, the ones on the back are steady and firm and inside they have 2 rubber Orings that holds it... I don't think that's my case... Appreciate the tip though, now I know :)

Having said that, I am thinking to try Michelin Primacy Tour, previously I had on my Audi A6 3.0T and it was really good and smooth... just not sure how it compares to Pilot Sport A/S 3+, I am not driving crazy, so I might rather choose a tour type of tire. Will see how this humming noise is bothering, sometimes is not noticeable, many times are just too loud to the point you would think there is something wrong with the car or suspension...

IMG_9593.JPG

Ok what you took a picture of is a wheel center cap, not a hubcentric ring...it doesn't matter as the wheels are lugcentric anyway.

Why did you go with bigger tires, when you were complaining in another thread about poor range? Bigger tires = worse range and more tire noise. This is clearly not what you want.

What you need that will make you happy is a set of stock width tires with NVH reducing foam. Return those wheels and get one's in either 8" or 8.5".

I would honestly recommend the factory 19" Continental's as they are quiet, get good range, and last a long time. They're really the most rounded all season option in 19". If you want max range get the Michelin MXM4's, but beware tire life is no better than the 20" PS4S.

And finally, range is dictated almost entirely by the tires, not the wheels. Saving 5lbs per wheel (all else being equal) is going to make a minimal difference.

Ok what you took a picture of is a wheel center cap, not a hubcentric ring...it doesn't matter as the wheels are lugcentric anyway.

Why did you go with bigger tires, when you were complaining in another thread about poor range? Bigger tires = worse range and more tire noise. This is clearly not what you want.

What you need that will make you happy is a set of stock width tires with NVH reducing foam. Return those wheels and get one's in either 8" or 8.5".

I would honestly recommend the factory 19" Continental's as they are quiet, get good range, and last a long time. They're really the most rounded all season option in 19". If you want max range get the Michelin MXM4's, but beware tire life is no better than the 20" PS4S.

And finally, range is dictated almost entirely by the tires, not the wheels. Saving 5lbs per wheel (all else being equal) is going to make a minimal difference.
yes, that was a bad choice for saving energy and reducing noise.
Should have gotten some 19x8 or 19x8.5 with some proper 235/40-19 tires.

appreciate it... I was going with the 19" 8.5" but Joshua from Evasive recommended 9.5" ... then they didn't have stock I got the 9" ... I'm pissed now... wheel and tire installed.. and I am not even sure how to work this around... blame on me for not doing enough research... america tires said should be ok that tire size.. I said 10mm tire difference will look weird on this wheel...

The only tire size 255x35 I saw was Primacy Tour A/S ... any thoughts on that tire?

or should I go back to the OEM 20" Pilot Sport 4S, they also carry 255x35 19" .... most likely I can't return wheels, so I am stuck with this now... either Pilot Sport 4S or Primacy Tour A/S... but this Pilot Sport 4S is without AC (acoustic band).

or should I go back to the OEM 20" Pilot Sport 4S, they also carry 255x35 19" .... most likely I can't return wheels, so I am stuck with this now... either Pilot Sport 4S or Primacy Tour A/S... but this Pilot Sport 4S is without AC (acoustic band).

You can put 235/40/19 on those 9" wheels, so that may be your best option. Again, the OEM 19" Continental's are probably best suited for your goals. That is probably your best bet given the situation.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Reactions: Dan_LA
You can put 235/40/19 on those 9" wheels, so that may be your best option. Again, the OEM 19" Continental's are probably best suited for your goals. That is probably your best bet given the situation.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ProContact+RX&partnum=34WR9PCRXXLCOSI&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Will have that in mind next tire, went back and asked for Primacy Tour A/S since that had the same size 255 x 35 ... 235 to 255 is like 2 cm... 1 cm each side... it doesn't seem too bad I guess... the tire shop guy did run with a 245 and said there would be a 0.3" difference left out... for the 9" width... is it really ok to use a 235 on a 9" ? Appreciate tip, will keep this in mind next time.